Arts and Crafts Mantle Clocks

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
Just finished these yesterday. A fun, and challenging, project. Among the challenges were the curved sides - pleased they came out as well as they did. I also tried some new finishing processes. On the mahogany I started with TransTint dark mission brown dye in alcohol. I knocked down the grain with some 600 grit and then gave it four applications of red mahogany danish oil. The second application was sanded in with 600 grit, the third with 1,000 grit and the last just allowed to soak in and wipe off. I wound up with a glass smooth finish that needed "almost" no filler (I had decided early on to try and not use filler). I say almost because when I applied the paste wax at the end of the process I got some very small pours filled with wax that turned white. Easy fix, I went back over it with a tinted wax and lost 90% of the offending pours.

The oak started with an application of honey amber dye, then dark mission brown and then 4 applications of dark walnut danish oil. Same process as the mahogany.

Overall very pleased with the outcome. The movement, quartz, set me back $89 each! But they chime beautifully and, so long as you don't turn them up too loud, sound just like the real thing.

Mahog 2.jpgMahog 5.jpgMahog 6.jpgMahog 7.jpgMahog 11.jpgOak 2.jpgOak 3.jpgoak 7.jpgOak 9.jpg

Last edited:
Super WOW, the workmanship and image quality all round , boy those are sooooo appealing ,no ways are those going to be around long.
The match you have on the clock face to wood front Rennie its nothing short of perfect.
Don't sell those cheap, they should command a good price.
So great to see you at it and enjoying it. New shop is good for you.

Rennie further thoughts, after viewing a post like this, i close my eyes and ask can i recall the image. Man i could see it clearly. To me that indicates how "grabbing" for the want of a better word the visual appeal of what i just saw was. That's the hook that's going to drive that worm in the customers head. I think you so nailed it with these.
Let us know how quick they sell. If i was not a woodworker myself i would be buying one from you.