I Made These For Christmas Gifts

Charles Lent

Staff member
I made these to give as Christmas Gifts. I was able completely finish them in two afternoons. Yes, I did use magnification for cutting them out and assembling them. I'll be starting a second batch of them this week after my eyes have recovered, They were cut out on my scroll saw, but I debated whether or not to put them in the Carving Forum. Since they weren't carved, but cut from flat stock I decided that they best fit here.

Moderators - Please move this post if I've put it in the wrong place.

Charley

Attachments

• DSCF0509.jpg
    DSCF0509.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCF0507.jpg
    DSCF0507.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCF0510.jpg
    DSCF0510.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Thanks for all the positive comments.

Yes, these little ones are cut from hard maple. When I've tried softer woods for this size they usually fall apart before I finish cutting them. Even with hard maple, they are extremely fragile. These are the smallest reindeer that I've been able to make with any significant success. The 1/2" tall version ended up with more failures than successes, so I have abandoned my plans to make them,at least until I can come up with a better way.

I made 12 pair of these 1" size reindeer in this batch. Two sets weren't displayed in the pictures because they failed final inspection and I'll be replacing one or both reindeer before giving them away. Today I started a second batch since my eyes are now feeling OK and are ready to try again. Let's see if I get any better at it or make more good ear rings this time. MY eyes were the first part of me to complain when doing the first batch. It is what limited me to the 12 pair, plus 4 outright failures (I think I blinked during the cutting) and the two pair that are finished, but that I'm not happy with.

I have been making three larger sizes of reindeer every year. This is year 12. All have been given away to family, and any woman who helps me in some way during the Christmas Season, between Thanksgiving and New Year., Waitresses, sales girls, cashiers, nurses, doctors, etc. are all offered one at the end of my transaction with them. As the transaction is complete, I hold out my hand to them palm down with a reindeer in it as I wish them a "Very Merry Christmas. " When they hold out their hand toward me I drop the reindeer in their hand. I've been thanked many times, hugged often, and even kissed on the cheek a few times. Several very tired sales girls have said "you made my day" as they brighten up with a big smile after enduring a long work day. This has resulted in a hug too.

I also give them to men, if they show interest, usually because they are also woodworkers, but women love to collect tiny unusual things like my reindeer. The ear rings seem to be even more popular than the large reindeer, but take much longer to make and need the jewelry pieces added. Each of the 1" reindeer for one ear ring takes me about 15 minutes to cut. I can cut the 3 1/2" tall reindeer in about 6 minutes. I spray clear lacquer on them, and when dry I install the jewelry pieces, also done under magnification, so making ear rings takes quite a bit longer, costs more to buy the jewelry pieces, and each pair only pleases one woman. The larger are easier and faster to make, easier to cut, usually from poplar, and pleases one woman. So only the more important or special women in my life are given the ear rings.

In my local Lowes the sales clerks and cashiers call me "Reindeer Charley" because they have each received at least one reindeer. If you go to any of the restaurants in this area that I frequent and look around, you will likely find one or sometimes a herd of reindeer looking down on you from a high and safe location. Reindeer can really fly, and if they leave them somewhere low, they usually fly away when no one is looking, so I always warn those receiving the larger ones of this problem..

Charley