Workbench legs question

Rob Keeble

I am looking to find out if anyone here has any experience with having used these workbench legs before.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Workbench-Black-90158/301996537

Seems a little too good to be true , just wondering how they handle weight.

I have to put a work surface together quickly for my new Shapeoko and saw someone else on web had used them for a bench for their shapeoko.

Don't know why they did not use a 2x4 for the leg so what's the big advantage. I must be getting old and slow.
Or is this for a person with no chop saw???

Anyhow any feedback or thoughts welcome.

I want to use steel square tubing but in 6 months we got to move again so looking at a temp quick solution.

I have no experience with them, but looking at the description, the legs are plastic... I would be more comfortable if they were metal.

Like you, why not use a good 2x4 or even a 4x4 for the legs... might be a little costlier, but I think might also be a little sturdier.

When I decided to buy a good workbench top - 84" x 30" x 1.75" - I looked for suitable legs and went with these. I used 1x6 pine boards for stretchers which made the combination very stable.

The plastic Home Depot legs look pretty handy to me. I don't have any issues with the fact that they're plastic. (Heck, I have some plastic handguns that do just fine.) ;)

Might be OK but check out Grizzly also: http://www.grizzly.com/search?q=(legs)

I like the fact that a search for "legs" on the Grizzly site pulls up the Smith & Wesson leg irons, too. :D Why in the world did Shiraz decide to include them in his tool catalog?

The plastic ought to be plenty strong. Its primary loading will be vertical. Seriously, you could probably park your car on top of a bench with those legs. The top itself and stringers will add the needed lateral stability.

What's your Shapeoko going to weigh? Maybe 50~60 pounds? The legs will definitely be adequate. So would lengths of 4x4 pine, or legs laminated up from two pieces of 2x4 - and they'd be a lot cheaper, too!

Thanks for input guys. Jim you absolutely correct in my view.

Shapeoko i am told is 115 pounds. That's not my concern, i was wondering about how strong the plastic legs would be.

But i plan on 2x4 in short term followed by a home made custom steel tubing design that will include an enclosure of the cnc. But that will be after we move. And when its warmer.

Frank and Bill those steel legs are great links. Thanks.

I think they’d be ok for an assembly table or something similar, but they would never stand up to the racking stress of hand planing that i do on a regular basis. My own assembly bench has 3X3’s for legs and a torsion box top. I could park my truck on it.

Last edited: