CNC to M&M

Well, I have access to a CNC and I have been learning/playing. Saw this from Dan and just had to try ..
https://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?38427-2017-m-amp-m-machines-both-designs

Cut the pieces: IMG_20170818_113628271.jpg IMG_20171128_135100106.jpg

Found that the gear, same thickness as spacer behind it, did not spin when clamped. A couple of paper shims above/below the spacer did the trick.
IMG_20171128_193023346.jpg

As for the hole/groove in the pocket in the piece on the bottom of second pic above .. the CNC did some wacko things that I cannot yet explain. I filled them and all is good.

Sealed the MDF with shellac but it still did not take the paint evenly. You all know how MDF edges such up the finish. Should have primed the edges. Oh well, not too bad for just goofing around and learning.
PC020300.JPG PC020301.JPG PC020302.JPG

Dan, I suspected there were not shims and thought about doing the sanding. Wanted to keep the sealed surfaces on the gear faces to prevent the 'soak up' of the finish. Paper shims worked just fine and really not noticeable at all. When I make another out of real wood, I'll sand the gear for sure. Thanks.

i was thinking shims at first, then thought that reducing the thickness of the gear a touch (not much mind you) was better. i sanded from the bottom, so not to lose the gear detail on the top.