Darren's AM8 Build

Got the wiring finished up tonight and ran it through its first homing routine after updating the firmware to Skynet.

2017-12-21 22.33.31.jpg 2017-12-21 22.33.21.jpg 2017-12-21 22.33.42.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWjcSMeSgHM

Also tested out the TouchUI for Octopi with it, I still need to print some brackets to mount the TouchUi and control screens. I can't put the control screen where I originally planned to due to cable length, so thinking about mounting them both on top.

2017-12-21 23.13.10.jpg 2017-12-21 23.08.36.jpg 2017-12-21 23.08.29.jpg

Tomorrow will be doing calibrations and running some test prints.

Looking real good. What did u use for a controller board for the printer as a matter of interest.

How did u know yellow was my favourite colour. Take care with packing it up will make a nice Xmas present. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today I got the printer calibrated and ran its first test print.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afLu-ln2Hag

Not bad for the first go, much better than the first attempt on the first printer, of course I've learned a thing or two.
2017-12-22 14.50.53.jpg

Also cleared up a parking spot next to the other on the printer shelf. Also just zipped tied the control panel and octopi on top for now to decide if I like it there or not before making brackets for them.

2017-12-22 14.45.52.jpg 2017-12-22 14.39.12.jpg

Looking real good. What did u use for a controller board for the printer as a matter of interest.

It's the ANet controller board (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ane...DIY-Self-Assembly-3D-Desktop/32816612246.html) that came with it, upgraded to the same version of Skynet3d that I'm running on my other printer. I think Brent is running the newer Marlin firmware that has Skynet integrated with it. I may upgrade to it on one of these to try out, just been going with the "Ain't broken" philosophy for now.

Nice job Darren. The KISS principle is a good one to live by. I had to go to Marlin to get the BLTouch sensor working. There are a few things a bit different, but it seems to work fine as well.

Looking great, Darren. :thumb:

I was talking to my niece this evening...she's an Industrial Arts teacher in Carol's neck of the woods. She's got three 3-D printers, and all of them are down at the moment. On the one that was working, she broke a part trying to clear a clogged nozzle. She called tech support, and the rep told her to simply print another part. She had to explain to him (slowly, I'd assume, knowing my niece) that if she could print with the machine she wouldn't have called in the first place. :eyeroll:

I'm getting real tempted to take the plunge into this game. May end up seeing what my tax refund (if any) looks like this year. Or sell a couple of guitars. Sort of silly to have a dozen or so when I'm only using 5 of them on a regular basis, lol. (Heck, I've got 5 Stratocasters alone.)

May end up seeing what my tax refund (if any) looks like this year. Or sell a couple of guitars. Sort of silly to have a dozen or so when I'm only using 5 of them on a regular basis, lol. (Heck, I've got 5 Stratocasters alone.)

Must be the eggnog talking, just crazy talk right there. :)

The Anet A8 kits are going for $150 to $180 (shipping included), just takes some time to get things assembled and refined. Your niece may be able to point out some better options since these are all I have experience in. I know they range up into $4000 for a 'good' printer. I'm kinda living in a ignorantly bliss world not knowing what one of those expensive printers can do in comparison. I plan to spend a little time this week learning some new techniques to help with the quality on mine. For stuff I'm making and doing though, they work great.

I'm also going to be working remotely with my nephews to teach them about their new printer my wife and I got them. They are home schooled and we got a great black friday deal on a MonoPrice Select Mini, which comes assembled. It's bed is only about 120mm x 120mm, but will be a good intro machine.

3dprintergift.jpg

Last edited:
Finished up the upgrade of the old printer to an AM8 upgrade today. Need to do some calibrations with it yet.

2018-01-14 17.41.33.jpg

I was wondering if this upgrade made much difference, and after printing some new spacers today, I compared to one printed prior to the upgrade with the old printer. The one on the left was printed on the AM8, the one on the right with the old frame, very noticeable quality differences on the smoothness of sides alone.
2018-01-14 15.42.51.jpg

Very nice. You can visibly see the difference in the image.

Last night I was reviewing some thingiverse models for my printer that guys have added to make it even more rigid.
It had me pause and wonder about the gains versus effort.
But I got to thinking about the process and figured every jerk can move that plastic layer ever so lightly so I guess the more rigid everything is the better.

Check this model out
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2123233

You may be able to adapt your new machine to some braces like the model above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk