Maybe A Bit Strange to Some

Dave Hoskins

As I said in the title, it might be a bit strange to some folks. But, my dogs love strawberries. And, not all doctored up with sugar and shortcake and whipped cream. They like them like I eat them. Cut the stem thing off and eat it. My dogs can't get enough of them. Well, what can I say? :D

Our one dog used to go hunt the wily strawberries in the garden. He also figured out how to pick blackberries. Between him and the pheasant the crop was fairly diminished. Not as weird as the other one which liked to find a good cucumber to snuggle chew with ("love you cucumber" chomp chomp).

Interesting on the cucumbers. I have learned one thing about growing cucumbers around here. Rattlesnakes love cucumber patches. Maybe even copperheads, but for sure rattlesnakes. So, to say the least I don't grow them anymore. Got tired of having to run them thar buzz tails off.

I'm happy to say that I've never found a rattlesnake with a love for cucumbers, that would be a bit disconcerting to say the least :eek:

Looking around I see folks claiming that rattlesnake (and copperhead) musk smells like cucumbers. Maybe the poor little fellows were just lonely and wanted a friend.

Somewhat amusingly we've moved to growing mostly "snake melons" (also known as armenian cucumbers) in lieu of actual cucumbers because they take the heat better and don't get bitter.. the name is because of their shape though not because of any snake affinity. They don't have as much cucumber smell so I'm having to wonder if they'd attract them the same way.

Could be on the musk smell. I do know this. When I was growing them, all I had to do was turn on the water and let that cold well water hit 'em and if they were in there, they were gone! That 52-54 degree well water is a sure fire snake repellent. I haven't tried to grow any here at this place. I moved here about 10 years ago and have seen one rattlesnake and one copperhead. The rest of my snakes are king snakes, rat snakes and bull snakes. Add to that a boat load of roadrunners and you aren't gonna see many rattlers or whatever.

Our current dog is the worst food thief/counter surfer yet and has made a long litany of bad dietary choices (a half kilo of coffee beans, package of Costco dates, a darning needle, to name a few). He loves any kind of fruit though, he’ll keep an eye peeled for any apples on the ground on the morning circuit of the orchard and is instantly beside us when the bag of frozen wild blueberries comes out. He did make a lunge for a lobster claw last Christmas but wasn’t quick enough.

I haven't seen a dog yet that didn't like dairy stuff. I think it's instinctual for them as it's based on milk. Broccoli might be a bit different. I've seen a lot of dogs eat carrots. Coffee beans? Wow! That's interesting.

Coffee beans? Wow! That's interesting.

Our one dog thought he'd like coffee beans, but wasn't as much of a fan once he managed to steal them :rofl:

Of course this was the same dog you'd have to watch closely if you were in a park with cigarette butts on the ground cause he'd eat those as well (none of us smoke, no one we know smokes.. I have no idea WHY he'd have found them attractive).. I think there was some sort of mental problem there but he was a dog so kind of goes without saying.

Better than the other one that would go out and hang with me in the shop when I was turning and was all "mmm look chips" :doh: Don't eat the woodchips buddy.