Sloooooow Sketchup

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
I've been experiencing an issue with Sketchup for the last month or so that is quite infuriating and I was wondering if anyone else was having the same problem. It's actually two fold.

1 - It opens OK and will open an existing file quickly, but from that point forward it takes anywhere from 5 to 10 seconds to react to a mouse click. I can click on a component and count off the seconds till it is highlighted. I close the program, restart, and sometimes it's fixed, but usually it is not. Same thing with restarting the computer. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

2 - When first opening Sketchup I get a pop up notice that I have several extensions that have expired and need to be updated. When I go to the extension manager and try to update them I get a message that says, "failed to update (extension name) unable to read extension archive". Some of these I do not use, but it will not allow me to uninstall them either.

I did upgrade to Windows 10 recently, but I do not believe the update coincided with the Sketchup issues, they came later.

Anyone?

This sounds a lot like an issue that I have on one of my Windows 10 machines, but in my case the "slowdown" is not limited to a single app. I have not found a solution to my problem, but I'll be re-imaging the machine in the next few days per an employer directive, so maybe that will take care of it.

Anyway, just in case it will give you more info to work with, I suggest using Task Manager to help you pinpoint "the offender".
  1. Start Task Manager by either A) right-clicking in an empty region of your task bar (usually at the bottom of the screen) and choosing "Task Manager", or B) hitting the Windows key, typing in "Task" and choosing "Task Manager" from the list.
  2. By default, Task Manager opens on the "Processes" tab, with your apps and processes sorted by name. Click on the word "CPU" at the top of the second column, to sort by CPU usage.
  3. Note which apps and processes are near the top of the list, and their CPU usage percentages. They'll jump around a bit as the CPU usage changes; that's OK.
  4. Now start SketchUp and wait for everything to "settle down".
  5. Go ahead and click on a component, or whatever normally seems to take a long time.
  6. While you're waiting for something to happen, check Task manager to see if Sketchup (or some other process) has moved to the top of the list.
For me, the offending process is usually explorer.exe, which is the main process behind File Explorer and even the Windows desktop itself. I've done lots of research, but still haven't found anything to speed things up. I'll be interested to hear your results.

I have this.

Specifically my version is a 5-6 second delay whenever I use the "select" tool. Everything else works absolutely fine but select has the 5 second delay.

Except sometimes it doesn't!

Search online andd the consensus is that it is to do with video drivers and windows updates etc etc. Basically sketchup 2017, windows 10 and some video drivers don't play nice.

Check your drivers and update them if possible. Some online posters have claimed success by reversing off certain windows updates. The ones I've tried have made no difference. In the past I have however had this spontaneously resolve itself for a few days and then go back.

Basically I have worked out ways to do nearly everything without the select tool. Use right click and "Edit Component" instead of double click etc etc.

Long way off ideal but I don't use sketchup enough to waste too much energy fixing a problem that is likely to unfix itself at the drop of a hat.

I've only had the slow downs when I have a ton of other applications or windows in chrome open. But then my whole pc runs pretty slow when I do that. I recently doubled up on the memory on my machine and my slow downs went (mostly) away.

There have been a couple of things identified that cause this issue. In both cases it has to do with Microsoft's automatic update pushes to Windows. Typically the problem is related to Intel HD graphics drivers which are noted for poor support for OpenGL. SketchUp requires that the GPU be capable of supporting OpenGL and doing it correctly. If you only have the Intel graphics adapter in your computer, you can try rolling back the drivers to a version before the slow down.

Another problem seen by users who have another GPU in addition to the Intel adapter is that Microsoft automatically makes the Intel card the default during an update. If that's what you are experiencing, you can go to the other GPU's control panel and reset it so that Sketchup uses that GPU instead of the Intel graphics. Make sure the drivers for the other card are up to date, too.

A third possibility is incorrect installation of Sketchup. Correct installation involves right clicking on the installer EXE file and selecting Run as administrator. Double clicking on the installer or clicking Run does not allow SketchUp to be installed correctly. Logging in as the administrator to install doesn't either. If you don't know if you installed it correctly, find the installer, right click, and select Run as administrator. Then choose the Repair option when presented with it.

Thanks all for the replies.

I have an ASUS laptop, i5, the graphics driver is Intel HD Graphics 3000 - it is the only driver installed.

I almost always have chrome open with anywhere from 6 to 10 tabs open. However, I have experienced the Sketchup slow down even after restarting and opening ONLY Sketchup. There may be a connection, but it has not been consistent. The issue comes and goes. I just continuously close and reopen Sketchup until it behaves. Sometimes I have to only do it once, sometimes six or eight times.

If it is an issue with the driver then I have not the slightest idea how to load a different one and make that the default. :huh:

Thanks all for the replies.

I have an ASUS laptop, i5, the graphics driver is Intel HD Graphics 3000 - it is the only driver installed.

I almost always have chrome open with anywhere from 6 to 10 tabs open. However, I have experienced the Sketchup slow down even after restarting and opening ONLY Sketchup. There may be a connection, but it has not been consistent. The issue comes and goes. I just continuously close and reopen Sketchup until it behaves. Sometimes I have to only do it once, sometimes six or eight times.

If it is an issue with the driver then I have not the slightest idea how to load a different one and make that the default. :huh:

Start Menu -> Settings ->Display -> Display Adapter Properties (bottom of page) -> Adapter Type -> Driver -> Update -> Search Automatically

If there is an update that should find it. I'm on a Tosh laptop and it won't let me update because Tosh have fixed it at the current version for some reason best known to themselves.Sounds like you have perxactly the same problem I have.

Rennie,

There might be an update for the Intel HD Graphics 3000 drivers. Intel HD 3000 is the graphics adapter and it's drivers periodically need updating. Check with ASUS for updated drivers first. Usually the manufacturer of the laptop will create modified versions of the drivers to suit the power requirements of the laptop. You could also check to see if the power profile for the computer is set to something low to favor longer battery life over performance.

As for having other applications like Chrome open, that shouldn't have much impact unless they are using the OpenGL resources. I don't believe Chrome uses OpenGL at all.

Regarding the installation of a different graphics card, you would need to check with ASUS or perhaps find a local computer repair place and see if a different card can be added.

Start Menu -> Settings ->Display -> Display Adapter Properties (bottom of page) -> Adapter Type -> Driver -> Update -> Search Automatically

If there is an update that should find it. I'm on a Tosh laptop and it won't let me update because Tosh have fixed it at the current version for some reason best known to themselves.Sounds like you have perxactly the same problem I have.

Yep - done that. No change as the driver was already up to date.
However, I downloaded Sketchup again and ran it through a repair. Working so far - time will tell.

Rennie,

There might be an update for the Intel HD Graphics 3000 drivers. Intel HD 3000 is the graphics adapter and it's drivers periodically need updating. Check with ASUS for updated drivers first. Usually the manufacturer of the laptop will create modified versions of the drivers to suit the power requirements of the laptop. You could also check to see if the power profile for the computer is set to something low to favor longer battery life over performance.

As for having other applications like Chrome open, that shouldn't have much impact unless they are using the OpenGL resources. I don't believe Chrome uses OpenGL at all.

Regarding the installation of a different graphics card, you would need to check with ASUS or perhaps find a local computer repair place and see if a different card can be added.

I'll check the Asus site - good call. Had not thought of that. In the mean time, the repair is working, but with a sporadic issue you cant go on the first result.

Rennie, how about you let me remote into your computer so I can see what your system looks like? I promise I won't get into that file where you keep all your credit card info. :D I'd have to wait until I get home from work but I can drop you a PM.

that would be super cool. As it is, I get it to work properly about every sixth start.

Yep - done that. No change as the driver was already up to date.
However, I downloaded Sketchup again and ran it through a repair. Working so far - time will tell.

Rennie, how about you let me remote into your computer so I can see what your system looks like? I promise I won't get into that file where you keep all your credit card info. :D I'd have to wait until I get home from work but I can drop you a PM.

Sorry, a bit slow myself in seeing this thread.

Could try disabling your virus scan temporarily to see if it may be conflicting. Also go to Start and type in "Event Viewer", open the Windows Logs>>Application to see if maybe something related is erroring/failing.