DeWalt DW735 Planer question

Rob Keeble

Had a mishap today while planning and had to rush out and pick up a new belt for my DW735.

Has anyone here that owns a DW735 ever had to replace their belt?

Its urethane grooved and while access is pretty easy, there is no adjustment and its a real tight fit. I cannot get the new one on.

Seems only way is to remove the main shaft drive wheel. Don't want to go there until i find someone that has dtdt .

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Based on the videos I'm seeing, it looks like you just work the belt on the intact wheels with sweat and elbow grease. Put it fully on the smaller of the two wheels, then work it onto the bigger wheel while rotating the wheel. You can also soak the belt it hot (not boiling) water for 10 to 15 minutes to soften it a bit before installing it.

Thanks Vaughn, that's exactly what i was trying but its real tight. I tried warming it with hot air but will give it the good old hot water treatment this weekend.
The larger pulley is aluminum so i am concerned about rolling over a groove. That will only create another issue.
Will see what happens with the hit water trick.
Thanks again.

In the event anyone has this issue there is video that shows how to achieve this belt change. The guy is actually installing a shelix head but shows how he got the belt back on at 20:24 in the video. Take the main drive pulley off. I will give that a go tomorrow its way to cold in the shop now and i have tried this evening to soften the belt and even boiling water did zip.

https://youtu.be/eOnSjsxNm8o?t=20m14s

Well i got er done but it took a ton of doing. The guy in the video is putting back a existing belt that's had some use.

A new one is a whole different can of worms.

I used wood clamps to pull the pulley with belt on over to the shaft.

Here is a pic of the old belt

20171209_173022.jpg

If this happens to you, it needs the whole top cover taking off which is a huge job.

Reason being the rubber urethane gets left in the grooves of the drive pulley. I had to take a blade to get it out. Took an age to clean up.

But she is chooching again. :)

Now i can get on with my project.