more on California fires

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
Today, we had two more major fires breakout around me. The closest is about 10 miles away, zero percent contained and the winds are howling. It is about a mile from my lot where I had intended to build though. Many evacuations, road closures, schools closures, and such. This is getting troublesome.

FWIW, Jim B and I are safe for the moment.

Update the update. Its getting closer to Jim. He may have to evacuate. I have a text out to Glenn.

Last edited:
We've evacuated Jim B. He is staying here. He got a voluntary evacuation order, so Glenn and I plotted to get him out. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the news update Carol, while you at it can you say hi to Jim from all of us, he has not been around for a while but that don't mean we aint been thinking of him. Be nice to hear how he is getting on. Say hi to Glenn too.

On another note, the US of A sure has had a fill of extreme weather in the recent past. I am thinking Idaho seems like a great location.

California...fires, Texas....fires and drought, Kansas....Tornadoes, ....Florida and Louisiana floods and hurricanes, Ny , Boston, Maine......gets that white stuff and then the flooding when it melts.
Looks to me like Iowa, Indiana, not looking like bad places if you trying to dodge extreme weather, or am i wrong. Lol
Of course in Michigan you gotta watch what water you drink. Larry has been messing with the system.

Take care keep us posted.

We aint even got snow yet so my new Canadian is getting anxious about a white Christmas.

Say hello to Jim and glad to hear he's out with you.

Some of those areas sound pretty bad, lots of people with no way out at the moment. If your exit path starts looking risky please do get out early. Good luck and stay safe.

For folks looking to keep an eye on friends an family..

Google maps has a crisis map showing the current official boundaries. These look to be up to date about daily or more if there are significant changes.
http://google.org/crisismap/google....,-117.6123,-119.3701&t=TERRAIN&layers=5,16,17

You can also get pretty good satellite maps from the US Forrest Service at: https://fsapps.nwcg.gov/afm/googleearth.php (thanks Brent!) for Google Earth.

The real problem spot today looks like where its heading for Santa Barbara, all that red is new activity within the last 24 hours :eek:
SB.jpg

The other fires, while very definitely not out haven't grown substantially in the last day or so.