Larger Bedan?

Mike Turner

I make flutes and use various tools at times turning them. I have always been sort of partial to the bedan. Sometimes when I use my spindle gouge I am just not as good. On the skew sometimes it is great others not so and sometime it is not good at all. I use some of the Easy wood tools and they are good but I am always sort of partial to the bedan. I know it takes more practice on any tool... I have never seen a bigger one for sell ...just the usual size..3/8" Does anyone make a bigger one?If not Im sure I could make one but if I could find one withe end turned round where it would fit my 1/2"handles that would be great.I have so many projects right now I dont want to break away to make a tool and the handle...not that it takes that long.....But if I had to in the future I would...If I did make one I guess I could get some larger stock from Doug Thompson or Dave Schweitzer D-Way tools? Or does anymore ideas.????Thanks guys in advance!!!

...I've always thought of bedans as sort of like small skews ground straight across. Would a small skew reground straight work for how you're using it?

I think bedans are typically a lot thicker than a skew. Hopefully Stu Ablett can chime in. He's got a fair amount of bedan experience. :thumb:

I think bedans are typically a lot thicker than a skew. Hopefully Stu Ablett can chime in. He's got a fair amount of bedan experience. :thumb:

yeah I've watched Stu's videos (really quite interesting and worth the time..), but basically all of the cuts were effectively things I can (at least in theory.. :rolleyes:) do with a skew (primarily different pealing and planing cuts) or a parting tool. The benefits of a bedan seem to be increased stability (from it being so beefy), narrower than a skew so its better supported, and that its size is about half way between a skew and a parting tool so you can do a lot of things one or the other can do with one tool. Being narrower than the skew its also better supported during the cut and thus less likely to catch (especially on small bits). I've used a wide (3/16") parting tool the same as you would a bedan for some fine detail cuts (after sharpening off the hollow grind) .. a real bedan would certainly have been better supported and easier to use (smaller rotation axis).

Given all of that, I was curious how Mike is using it where - for a wider bedan - another tool like a straighter ground skew wouldn't work about as well. Purely from a selfish learning point of view :)

Here's one of Stu's first video's to get the peanut gallery started on them (thanks again to Stu for taking the time to make these.. one of the few really useful video sets on Bedan work).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kglcgy6TgxU

I am using the bedan basically as my sizing tool on the flutes. I knock the corners off with whatever i choose to use that day.Im doing peeling and planing cuts which can be done with the skew, but some days I am great with the skew then there are the other days and I take a chunk out from something because I did something wrong!!.....just one second of error and I have a boo boo I havent lost a flute from it yet but have had to sand a couple smaller than I normally would to get the bad place out.....I know more practice....A wide heavy scraper cut straight across Im sure woulod work to. I could get some of those bits and make my own too....Just thinking for now...Ive got to check Stu's video out too!!! Thanks!

I use the Sorby brand of bedan and it's 3/8". I have used it in spindle work to a point, but I mainly use it as a parting tool or creating a tenon for roughing out blanks. Some may think I'm weird but I use my different bowl gouges for my spindle work more than anything.

No ,sir...not weird...but whatever works the best for you....I probably have some bad habits and may do somethings in not the best ways cause i am a self taught woodturner for the most part except what I have learned online....Id have to ride 45 min to get to a woodturnering club and most times there just isnt enough time.....After looking at a video of a bedan being used I have been using it uppside down...hmmmm but it worked fine...Wonder if I am the only one that has done that?!

It's not upside down unless you think it is. And in turning it's not a bad habit unless it hurts ya. I have not tried using my bedan "upside down" but now that you mentioned it I will if for no other reason but being able to say I did. Who knows? I might like it that way.