My temp cnc work tables

Rob Keeble

Well after purchasing some 2x4s and getting them cut to rough size, then fixing planner belt , i finally got to mill the whole lot today and am ready to go.

Will be making two tables/workbenches which i will tie together then put on wheels and put a top on.

That will do for now until we move and i can make what i want without having to think of moving again.

Here is a progress shot.20171210_171630.jpg

Don't look like much but those 2×4's took a lot of planning to get to 3" x 1 1/4" but now they all square and same size.

More to come as i progress.

Just a couple of thoughts.

1) it is nice to have access all around the machine - as much as is possible. By 24x24 machine was on a wheeled cart.

2) The computer should have at least "some" protection from dust.

Leo makes a couple of good points.

In my case, I wanted to conserve a little space, so I built a shelf for my CNC. I can handle a workpiece up to about 18" wide (Y axis) by almost any length (X axis). I'm set up so my X & Y are switched from "standard" configuration, but found through online forums that I'm not alone with that setup.

I run my CNC with my shop desktop PC. A USB extension cable connects them. There is some seperation, but I can almost touch both at the same time. I've experimented with a wireless RPi board, but haven't taken time to finalize that setup.

Ok so lets see how many true rednecks there are around here, either redneck or country folk.

What am i chewing on while in the shop...here is a pic of the contents of my shop jacket pocket.

20171211_130809.jpg

Got a jig setup on workbench for making the frames

20171211_131208.jpg

Two done two more to go then on to the legs.

After having my cnc wedged in the corner, I'm in the progress of putting together a cart for it. Will be following along here! :lurk:

Well for all good rednecks out there its biltong, SA version of jerky. This lot is made of beef. I have only ever had and seen jerky like this in Pittsburgh in a country hardware store on the counter in a jar.
Was deer jerky but man it was nice.

I cant eat that Jack Links colored artificial flavoured stuff they sell at gas stations and convenience stores. When i get down to eating that i might as well be taking masonite cutting it up and putting some bbq sauce on it. Lol.

Well here is progress for today.
Ready for a top but i got a few second thoughts happening.
Going to brace between the middle pieces first just so it dont sag.
Two halves come apart so its easy to move.
All came out pretty square i am very happy. Well worth milling the 2x4 stuff before you use it.
20171211_174426.jpg20171211_175156.jpg20171211_175204.jpg

Some pics of how i jointed it. All screwed together.

Made the 4 frames first on workbench with a glued in place set of square blocks, then made up the corner legs and with a bunch of clamps it came together.

Dado blade came in handy today, knocked off 24 dados 3 in wide 5/8" deep in no time.
Felt like Allen Levine today except he would have been done 2 days ago. ;)