Is it too cold to apply shellac?

Tom Baugues

I'm wanting to apply some shellac on a project. I put the first coat on over the weekend while I had the shop heated up to about 70 degrees however it is much colder out now and the shop is down to about 55 degrees. Can I apply shellac at that temperature or should I wait until I have the shop heated up? (the weekend). My internet search provided a yes and no answers. I trust you folks.

Shellac 'dries' when the alcohol it's dissolved in evaporates. That varies widely by the temperature, so the shellac will still cure (dry), but MUCH(!) slower. That'll lead to more dust-in-the-finish problems, too.

I'd wait until you can heat the shop, and keep it warm for several hours after applying the shellac.

I'd agree with Jim. While I've applied shellac in much colder weather, it did take a good while before I moved on to next steps. I didn't notice any adverse effects, but I wasn't in a hurry and gave plenty of time between coats.

Can't add much to what's been said...shellac and NC lacquer are evaporative finishes. They dry when the solvent evaporates. I've sprayed lacquer in 40° temps and it dried just fine. Same with shellac, though as Jim said, it does go more slowly.