Making Some Lathe Tools Out of Necessity

Dan Mosley

I can remember when I first got my lathe I had spent all I had to get my Jet 1642 with 2hp - I did not have much money after that and with buying some lathe tools to buy much of anything else - So I made my own and I recently put together a video on You Tube to show others how to make tool rests and depth gauges with very little money - they are not the pretty ones you can buy but then again tools are not supposed to be pretty.
We have started a small group of kids that play around with woodworking and lathe turning and decided to start putting up more videos about what we are doing to try to build up our subs - Take a look when you can and see if this is something that interests you and click subscribe to help support the effort.............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdHPI3NUSiQ

Question - Does anyone have a source for purchasing laser tips for the Monster hollowing rigs ? My last purchase of these was not so good of lasers.......... Thanks everybody

Hey Dan, good to see you. :wave: I skimmed though the video...looks like some good info.

On your laser question, as you probably know, Monster closed up shop earlier this year. I don't know where they were getting the laser emitters, but I might be able to find out. I'll let you know.

Thanks Vaughn - I just bought 650nm 1mW 8x13mm Laser Module from Aixiz online - they fit fine but they fail fast - like in one turning kind of fast - ok thank