I’ve been a good boy so The Wife made me a deal...

Brett Luna

...so now, she has the next three Christmas seasons and birthdays wired.

It’s long been a running joke between us that she wants me to buy her a 6 million dollar diamond ring from Tiffany. I jokingly set my sights lower for a Sawstop. Totally out of the blue but I am going to be the proud owner of a Sawstop 36” 3hp PCS model. We ordered it today on the condition that it covers the next three years of major gift giving. Wow. What an upgrade from the Delta 36-725. And I just ordered the ICS mobile base with conversion kit. I couldn’t be more excited.

Wow! That'll make it a Christmas to remember. And remember. And remember. :D

Great choice. You have good taste.:thumb: (In saws, and also apparently in wives.)

So I picked up the saw Friday afternoon. A couple of coworkers come over Saturday morning to help me offload, unpack, and set it on the mobile base. After that, I was on my own for a few hours to assemble the beast.

The instructions and hardware packaging for this thing are better than I’ve ever seen for any product. Everything is contained in a compartmented blister pack, each numbered to match numbered illustrations. Everything went smoothly, even the wings. I’ve seen videos where people used makeshift stands to hold the wing at the right level but I didn’t have the ready makings for one. Has anyone tried using a parallel clamp to act as a shelf? It worked nicely to hold one end flush while I supported the outer edge with one hand and got bolts in with the other.

f65583de687412d95da4f168bdca9d87.jpg

And before long, it was fully assembled:

8e240ebbb93e2c0375dc507b500b3acc.jpg

I put my dial gauge on it today and found the blade was off from the miter slot by 0.005” ... not bad but I felt like fiddling with the saw’s built-in table adjustment screws. Loosening the four trunnion bolts was relatively simple. The front bolts are outside the cabinet. The rear are accessed through the motor cover on the left and an access panel on the right. Loosening the left-rear bolt requires tilting the blade to about 30°. Next, I used the two adjustment screws to nudge the table with complete control and no cursing...not in anger, anyway. I was done in about 20 minutes and my digital dial gauge indicated 0.000” at the front and rear of the blade.

I only made a few test cuts on a scrap of 3/4” Baltic birch. The blade guard comes equipped with a 1-1/2” dust port, which I had connected to a shop vac and dust separator. The 4” port was connected to my 1hp DC. I was impressed with collection through the guard. Only a few specks escaped to the tabletop...except when I made a skim cut. That dusted the left side of the table pretty good. But I was still impressed. I think I’ll be getting the overarm DC attachment.

So, am I happy with it? You bet your butt joint I am!

Last edited:
Awesome! That's a sweet-looking saw. :thumb: I'll be keeping your clamp trick in mind before long when I get my TS put back back together.

That looks like a real beast. I know you'll enjoy the heck out of it. I got new saw this summer with the attached DC and is great. First 3 weeks had to empty dust bag and collector. Worth while investment.
David

Nice! It's a thing of beauty and on my list as well. My wife wants me to get on before letting the grandson work in the shop, but I have a good 10 years before he's using the table saw.