Windows 10 upgrade still free for the rest of the year

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Not a widely known fact, but if you use any accessibility features of windows or need them, you can upgrade to Windows 10 for free at least until December 31st of 2017.

As a precaution, if you're considering it, besure to visit your computer manufacturer's support site and make sure your bios and drivers are up to date. You might also create installation media for your current OS in case you want to revert.

Then point your web browser to www.microsoft.com/accessibility/windows10upgrade and click through the buttons/agreements, it will do an OS/hardware check to verify you qualify. The download is about 3GB, so be prepared to wait a while. I have reasonably fast internet and it was only about 30 - 40 minutes total to do the upgrade on a windows 8.1 pc.

I've also heard that the Accessibility site is only changing, they are still planning to offer the free upgrade after the first of the year.

Last edited:
Technologies that help with reading, listening, assisting with vocal command, etc. Microsoft hasn't actually defined it that I've found anywhere, one probably should use their own judgement in whether you or the person using their software would be considered eligible to use the features. There is the Accessibility page where it explains more of the features built into windows and companies they've partnered with.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Accessibility/

Ok here is my take. Anyone can execute this way of upgrading to windows 10.
First there is no way to tell after the event. The package is exactly the same.
Second the real aim MS has is to have us all stay MS users in the midst of the mobile device invasion and the move to Apps as opposed to purchased software.
So given MS is now trying to replicate the Apple and Android model of Google and Apple do you think for the sake of the cost in the OS they want to have you end up going Linux open source route. Not on your life.
This is a plausible backdrop left over when they did not get all the base users jumping over in their free upgrade period.
They not about to lose that base so they leaving it open.
If u want windows 10 go for it don't be concerned that's my 5 cents .

MS still get the business computers that go on and off lease over times and get the OS revenue from those Oem sales but they would like to see us all subscribe to office online etc and pay for use like the Apple and Android app model.
They don't want to lose the mass market consumer base. They would be crazy to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DON'T DO IT! Absolutely wusstest OS I have ever used since original Win95. Hate it, hate it. Lost all my e-mail contacts in upgrade and several programs. Nothing intuitive about it. Did I say I hate it? I hate it.:mad::mad:

Well, it's not for everyone, but not had the same experience. My experience with Windows 10 has been pretty positive, but it is different. There are things like setting compatibility mode for older applications and adding plugins for putting the Windows 7 start button back that can help. I run a lot of apps that were designed for XP even that run just fine on it. I don't use their mail software, I've been a google and yahoo user for years now since they work across mobile devices and desktops.