Pick Holders

Nice, Gayl. End grain turning is touchy for all of us, I think. The dimple you mentioned is not severe. And, it goes down. Which if I end up with one, I prefer it that way. The other is not acceptable by me or my customers. Takes practice. You will get it, I am sure. :thumb:

Nice, Gayl. End grain turning is touchy for all of us, I think. The dimple you mentioned is not severe. And, it goes down. Which if I end up with one, I prefer it that way. The other is not acceptable by me or my customers. Takes practice. You will get it, I am sure. :thumb:

One on the left is convext,the other one is concave.

OK. I guess my eyeballs weren't working good. The convex should be easily corrected, I would think, with more sanding. If it were me, I'd use a 2" or 3" disc with like 220 grit to level it all out and then do whatever finishing grits you are accustomed to using. I would think that should take care of the convex. I don't usually mind a lid with a bit of concave in it. But, that's personal choices there.

Those things are pretty precise to turn anyway... I don't try anything that precise, but my friend does and they are usually well received when he makes them.... not sure that he does much end grain though.... really haven't looked that closely at them. I don't like to do end grain just for it's finicky reactions....