Dog Bed Frame

glenn bradley

In most of SoCal, a fireplace is a decorative item. I designed this to set back into the firebox about 3", right up against the doors. The size of the bed resulted in an overhang which I turned into storage. I rough out a design in SketchUp, grab some material, mill it and break it down. My pictures have stopped maintaining their rotation info. If someone could help me out with that it would be great.

Dog Bed Frame (0).jpg . Dog Bed Frame (5).jpg . Dog Bed Frame (9).jpg

I use an overly deep rabbet at the corners to get the appearance I am after. I shape a couple of parts and it starts to take form.

Dog Bed Frame (19).jpg . Dog Bed Frame (24).jpg . Dog Bed Frame (30).jpg

And we end up here.

Dog Bed Frame (32).jpg

Of course you can't do without your dog-bone shaped drawer-pulls.

Dog Bed Frame (33).jpg . Dog Bed Frame (34).jpg

No extra charge for the dog hair.

Last edited:
Looks great. My mom had turned her fireplace in their old house into a little winter scene with miniatures. Around here, the fireplace might be a little too drafty for a pup to be comfortable. ;)

Lucky dog! Looks pretty cozy there, I know our pups really liked having a slightly elevated bed (although the one I built for them to take to the kennel also had an underside "den" and they spent about as much time in there as on top).

Now your project is great and your tips as always really top notch, but the whole affair has me wondering has Glenn managed to train his dog to open the draw pull out and play with the toys then tidy up and close the draw before lying down ;)

I like the dog bone decoration. Neat touch.

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk