Fog in the Desert

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
We don't get fog here in Albuquerque very often, so this morning I was surprised to see thick fog out the kitchen window when I got up. My buddy Donnie (who's also the drummer in my band and a professional drone pilot) lives on the other side of town where the skies were clear, and he decided to shoot some video of the occasion.

Earlier this year, he asked me to record some "ambient music" that he could use for short video demos without having to pay royalties to a third party. I was happy to oblige. I recorded four or five different "short songs" for him in the course of about 30 minutes. I was pleasantly surprised to hear one of my little recordings as the background for the video that he posted today on Facebook. This music was totally ad-libbed...not planned or written out at all. It was recorded in a single take, on a single stereo track, with a cheap Mexican-made Fender Stratocaster and my Fractal Axe-Fx amp/effects modeler played into my Tascam 8-track digital recorder. I sure love the new technology available these days. :thumb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p6zAHgrUqo

Very cool video and man you da man with the soundtracks. Ever thought about posting made up tracks like this for the purposes of collecting Royalty could add to your retirement one day if they go viral. :) And what the heck you enjoy playing so go crazy and make music.

So i guess you guys must be in a valley and get a temperature inversion overnight or what ?

I recall back in the day being down in Santiago Chile and they got a temp inversion that kept the smog down on the ground and boy in those days they had recently deregulated buses and everyman and his dog had a diesel 20 or 30 seater bus running a service somewhere belching nice black diesel fumes into the atmosphere. I was staying at the Hotel Kempinski and recall a day when i opened the window of my room to "get some fresh air" and promptly settled for closing it again as the air outside was worse than inside. lol
Funny thing the gov there tried to clean things up by limiting vehicles to odd and even number plate days. All the locals did was buy two vehicles making sure one had odd and the other even number plates. :doh:

...Ever thought about posting made up tracks like this for the purposes of collecting Royalty could add to your retirement one day if they go viral. :) And what the heck you enjoy playing so go crazy and make music...

It's fun to play around with, but I know several guys who do it for a living and I could never keep up with their output. What separates the men from the boys in that business is being able to create good stuff on demand. I have my moments, but I can't pull good stuff out of the hat every day of the week. ;) Guys like my buddy Doug Bossi can, and do. (His list of credits as very long. Ever watch Pawn Stars? That's Doug playing all the bumper music between scenes. He's done a lot of other stuff for the History Channel and other similar networks.)

As to the temperature inversions, you're right on the money. We're in the Rio Grande valley, and the wintertime inversions can trap a lot of fireplace smoke. When it gets real bad, they have "no burn" nights where you're not allowed to burn woodstoves or fireplaces, and the enviro patrols will hunt you down and write you a ticket if you get caught. Fog is still pretty rare, because it's typically so dry here.

:rofl: Yeah, appears that first segment is playing reverse, saw several trucks driving backwards.

I noticed that too, and the fact that it's sped up. I suspect Donnie (who fancies himself as a more handsome version of Cecil B. DeMille, lol) wanted his opening shot to start with clear skies, panning to clouds, when in reality, he started the shoot looking at the clouds then turned away from them to land the drone. Thus, the section of reverse video.