Arts & Crafts Shelf clock

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
The first step always scares me!

Here's a few pics of a clock I am currently building. I love building clocks and have several I am selling on Etsy. However, I needed something smaller than I usually build that was at a price point more in tune with a modest budget. This is what I came up with. Sized to fit into a free postal service priority box to facilitate shipping it stands a little over 10" tall and 11" wide. It is my take off of a rather popular design.
Shelf Clock 1.jpg

I spent some time designing it to be easy to build. I made a router jig to cut the mortices in the sides and they are only 3/8" deep. They hold faux tenons that hide the screws that hold the horizontal rails in place. The smaller trim pieces are all installed using Titebond instant glue for wood using an accelerator.

The first step in my finishing process is the application of Honey Amber Dye (TransTint). Had I never done this before I would be very stressed over the color. Next up is TransTint dark mission brown dye followed by several coats of walnut Danish Oil.
IMG_2946.jpgIMG_2945.jpgIMG_2944.jpg

This is kind of a prototype. Still working with some of the design elements. One thing I am not sure of it the faux tenons - they seem a bit too wide at 1/2" and 1" tall. I'm thinking 3/8" might be better, but that will require me buying a new router bit. :D

Last edited:
Nice design, Rennie! Looks like it should work fine and I agree about making the faux tenons a bit smaller.

Where do you get your router bits? MLCS is where I get most of mine; good quality at a good price.

Nice design, Rennie! Looks like it should work fine and I agree about making the faux tenons a bit smaller.

Where do you get your router bits? MLCS is where I get most of mine; good quality at a good price.

Most of my bits came from Woodcraft, they run sales and I’m cheap. [emoji38] the rest are a mix of MLCS, Freud, Bosch.

Looks good, Rennie. I also agree on the smaller tenons.

T...The first step in my finishing process is the application of Honey Amber Dye (TransTint). Had I never done this before I would be very stressed over the color...

I can relate to the stress when midway through the process of dying wood, especially when the process involved multiple colors. More than once I've though I've ruined a piece, only to have the end result be great.

Complete!!

I like the way this turned out, so I think I might build a few more. I think the smaller (than my mantle clocks) size will appeal to buyers without a mantle but who still want a period looking timepiece in their living rooms.

QSWO - Amber dye followed by dark mission brown dye - then 3 coats of dark walnut danish oil sanded in first with 600, then with 2000.

DSC_0043a.jpgDSC_0042a.jpgDSC_0041a.jpgDSC_0040a.jpgDSC_0039.jpgDSC_0037.jpgDSC_0044a.jpg