cheap 40" drawer slides

larry merlau

been awhile since i gave anything back, and have asked a few questions in the past months. so seeing as how its the season to give for some folks i had a small job come in that needed 40" slides.. went to price them and decided that wasnt in the budget.. so used some of what i had laying around in the scrap bin.. and came up with a solution..

d1.jpgd2.jpgd3.jpgd5.jpgd4.jpgd6.jpg

in the first pic you see the parts milled out of some ash, ash is one of the hardest woods around and stays straight well and wears like iron.

in the second pic i have labeled them so as to put them together in the right sequence, it saves time to write notes rather than rely on memory

in the third pic i have marked them for screw spacing to drill holes make all the same to save time again, if they line up across from each other offset one side.

in the forth pic i have used spacers to maintain position and also a spacer for clearance, and the last trick to help things out is to pin nail it in place.

in the fifth and sixth pics show the screws installed and the final proof it works. with the allowance already spaced made the fit easier, just add some wax and she is ready to slide away without the snow:)

Thanks Larry! Kind of like the fact they are made out of wood instead of a bunch of metal and ball bearings.

Nice solution Larry, hadn't considered ash, but most of the cabinets in my house are made from them and haven't deformed in 30 years. I'll have to consider using it in the future.

Thanks For posting Larry. Good to hear from you again. So glad to see you in the shop getting some work done.

So my idiots question is why a top runner? Surely draw can run on one runner and weight of draw keeps it down on the runner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thank you great wize lady:) for answer robs question.. dont know the load rating of these but for what they are holding it will do fine.. need to get this done so i can get on the ice!!!