Turning Black African strikers

This is one hard wood to work with. I've been selling these but finally have a few made up for a show sale. Some beautiful grain. The finish is a wax / damar varnish mixture. A few drops rubbed in with a iece of leather while spinning.

Attachments

• 1514409439079189718528.jpg
    1514409439079189718528.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 15144094956192908079.jpg
    15144094956192908079.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 56
Ok Dave I have to ask......what is an African striker?

EDIT...Wait...are these strikers for your “calls”?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Beautiful pieces. Not only call turkeys, but defend yourself from lord Voldemort (did I say that...). If they don't sell in the intended market, I assure you they will in the Harry Potter market. ;)

Very nice, good turnings. My questions have been answered, like 'what is a striker?' and how related to ebony. Is it as expensive as ebony? Can you buy it cured? I know most ebony is shipped right after cutting with heavy coating of paraffin. Makes it unusable for a long time.

Blackwood is cheaper than ebony maybe by up to 30-50% depending on where you buy it. I've found it cured (https://www.cookwoods.com/wood-by-species/blackwood-african - they aren't the cheapest unless they're having a big sale which happens on occasion).

On the turnings, I'm struck by how consistent they are in form even though the details vary (a couple have significantly different shapes but in general). You've certainly gotten a certain form and style for these down pat.

Blackwood is cheaper than ebony maybe by up to 30-50% depending on where you buy it. I've found it cured (https://www.cookwoods.com/wood-by-species/blackwood-african - they aren't the cheapest unless they're having a big sale which happens on occasion).

On the turnings, I'm struck by how consistent they are in form even though the details vary (a couple have significantly different shapes but in general). You've certainly gotten a certain form and style for these down pat.

Thanks You Ryan. I last a few due to not paying attention to the grain , this wood likes to crack under pressure. Each 1x1x12 cost on the avg of $7-9 bucks. The ones I've been buying are dried Frank. Once I finish with sanding 220, 400, 600, 1000, 2000 & 4000 the wax / Damar drops buff it out quick.
Ryan I like that no 2 are the same.

Last edited: