a few gifts

Very nice, John! I've done some cutting boards similar to the July 9th one you showed. Getting those curves to fit tightly is a challenge, and it looks like to accepted the challenge nicely. :thumb:

Very nice, John! I've done some cutting boards similar to the July 9th one you showed. Getting those curves to fit tightly is a challenge, and it looks like to accepted the challenge nicely. :thumb:

Thanks Vaughn. I had a couple of little gaps, so I made it the bottom�� That’s the first one I’ve made with the curves. It was much harder than I thought it was going to be.

...Have never tried inlays, your curvy thingy looks great.

If I'm not mistaken, the curve isn't really an inlay. It goes all the way through the board...basically just multiple thin strips of wood added as a second glue-up after the initial cutting board is constructed. The tricky part is that the stripes are wider than the saw kerf, so when you add the extra thickness, the curves no longer match exactly. For me, I always had to do some careful sanding to widen the kerf to match the width of the added strips after the cut to get things to fit just right. I'll bet your new scroll saw could make that process pretty easy.

Every saw blade, including a scroll saw, leaves a kerf. A complimentary template router operation can do these all day long automatically making up the kerf, with no fiddling around. Once the the templates are made, shift, angle and exchange them for many different looks.

Every saw blade, including a scroll saw, leaves a kerf. A complimentary template router operation can do these all day long automatically making up the kerf, with no fiddling around. Once the the templates are made, shift, angle and exchange them for many different looks.

Yep, a router and template would make it easy. Am I correct in thinking the router bit would need to be the same width as the combined thin strips?

My thought with a scroll saw was to make two cuts - one for each side of the width of the gap needed to accommodate the width of the thin strips. It'd still take some cleanup, I'm guessing. The amount of cleanup would depend on the accuracy of the cuts.

Yep, a router and template would make it easy. Am I correct in thinking the router bit would need to be the same width as the combined thin strips?

Not quite. The secret in making the templates is using a bearing on the straight bit where the offset dimension of the bearing equals the diameter of the straight bit. Sounds like a demo for the Burning II gathering this summer.

do you fill in the holes on the ambrosia maple or just leave it? not that Id expect anyone to actually cut on those boards?

I started to fill them, but then I had the same thought as you Allen that they won't be cut on so I didn't fill them. If I didn't engrave them I would have filled the holes. If I did filled them I was debating on what with....epoxy maybe?

I dont know , I never use ambrosia maple for that reason. any wood with worm holes I avoid. I dont know if epoxy would be food safe, I dont see why not if covered with oil, maybe someone else knows.