Friday - the first one this year!

Dave Hoskins

How about that? I know. Big deal, another Friday. Old Man Winter seems to have left North Central Texas and went east. Hope all on the eastern coast fairs OK. This morning need to make a needful run to the store for bullets, bacon, and beans. Then shop time. Finally. Been a few days since done anything worth speaking of. Looks like several days of decent weather coming and I am looking forward to that. :thumb:

Leo, you're not alone, been working on the Laundry room project for a while now. Finally got the washer and dryer stacked this week with all new hoses. This weekend I'll be putting in cabinets, maybe picking out a counter tonight so that I can get the sink installed. Still have other walls to finish up in there, but pretty much playing the shuffle game since it's such a small room that we still need to use almost every day.

Other than that, will be hanging with the grandson.

Still thawing out a bit down here. I'm in my shop, but not doing a great deal because it's only around 50F in here. It'll warm up over the next few days, so I can get back to some finish processes.

Bobbie and I are going out for Mexican food for lunch - great restaurant here!

Weekend as well as Monday will be some football watching. For many years, I gave up watching any football except for the SuperBowl. The length of the games was ridiculous because of the ad breaks. They seem to have better control of that now!

Still five more weeks until NASCAR, darn it!!!

Hunkered down. With snow on the roads even the mail person hasn't shown up. The missus mentioned sending me out for PowerBall and MegaMillions tickets, but I dunno:p

Hope ya win (if I don't) Ted! I'm not sure why I buy them only when the jackpot is high..... For one the chances of being struck by lightening twice on the way from the car to the store is higher than that of winning PLUS not buying them when the jackpot is below 200 million makes it seem as though I'd not even want to win if I was only getting 10 million cash..... lol

Work and maybe some rest from the holidays is on my agenda this weekend!

Whatever I had planned just got scrapped. We are finally supposed got get rain on Monday and Tuesday and it is predicted to be be a frog-strangler. So need to stow and cover bunches of stuff today. Invited to lunch tomorrow so may not have any more time than today to get ready.

If this happened, there will be lots of damage to all the fire areas plus the usually coastal flooding. I am on a hill, so I jus need to make sure that run off runs away. I have one smashed drain pipe to replace today.

Having a nice shop day here, while winter carries on outside, the local condition we call Fundy Flurries, when onshore northerly winds (40, gusting to 70) blow off the open water of the Bay of Fundy, which never freezes. Tractor’s laid up so I had to go to the manual backup system to deal with an unexpected 15 cm of dense dry “talcum powder snow” in the driveway this morning. No post-Christmas gym memberships needed here. Temp has been steady at -17C all day.

I’m near ready to assemble a little set of shelves for our son’s place in Calgary. I’m using some of my curly ash, very pretty grain, but challenging to work without tear out.

Last edited:
Just got back from playing a 2-night engagement at Angel Fire Ski Resort, about 3 hours north of here. We had a great time, but the crowds were small because there's nothing but man-made snow on the hills. This is one of the driest years in memory for pretty much all of the NM ski resorts. Southern Colorado isn't doing much better, from what I hear. One of the managers was telling us this afternoon that their revenues for December were 50% of what they normally are. Ironically, for many of the Texans vacationing at the resort, they probably have more snow at home than the resort does. (But they don't have mountains.)

The rest of my weekend will be spent resting, relaxing, and doing minor stuff around the house.

... Ironically, for many of the Texans vacationing at the resort, they probably have more snow at home than the resort does. (But they don't have mountains.) ...

Weather can be strange stuff, alright! I lived in Stephenville, TX (90 miles SW of DFW) from 1977-1980. One Winter while there, we had 18" of snow, but the resorts in Colorado couldn't open for lack of snow cover!