Keepsake Urns

glenn bradley

For a mother/daughter for their late son/brother. Peruvian walnut tops, black walnut bodies. Oil varnish blend finish.

Dave-Urn (12).jpg

Tough to photograph for me. Curved sides and carved tops were a challenge with the light. This is about the best I could get.

I really like the top Glenn!

I have a very good friend that I used to teach with who's wife asked me if I'd make a box for her ashes for when the time came. She want's me to make it now so she can see it. She is in good health so it isn't urgent and I've put it off for two years or so because it kind of gives me the creeps!

I went through that convoluted story to lead up to a question. How do I decide on the volume of the box? I have no idea the volume that human ashes take up.

As I heard it, figure 1cubic inch per pound of body weight. That’s the rule of thumb that I have used.

I've heard the same numbers, too. And to measure the volume of urns I've turned, I used dry rice. One cup (dry measure) equals 14.4375 cubic inches.

I've been down sick so, I am catching up . . .

Fair warning, I might have to steal some of those ideas. :D
Rennie, I've always loved your work. As always, steal away!

How do I decide on the volume of the box? I have no idea the volume that human ashes take up.
As usual in this wonderfaul forum, if I fail to respond, someone will fill in ;-)

As I heard it, figure 1cubic inch per pound of body weight. That’s the rule of thumb that I have used.
With a relative in the biz, so to speak, I am told that this is the accepted formula. This is based on the person's healthy weight so, someone weighing 130 at death may have had a healthy weight of 180. I don't do this a lot but, have never had too little room using this formula.

How was the bottom fastened?
I typically use slot head brass screws since I will not be the person sealing the urn and any mortician is going to have a slot screwdriver available. In this case I had the remains and so glued the bottom in place with silicone rubber glue. The bottoms are fitted with a rabbet like so:

Urn Bottom-Typical.JPG

The 'show' edge is profiled as desired for the style of the urn.

Last edited: