CA Glue Shadow

Mike Turner

I have a small platter that I used some CA glue to repair a small crack on sometime in the past....Some of it ran and now there is a spot there that shows up that I would rather it not show up.Anything to do about it? This isnt a big loss but I would like to do something to it if I could.

I usually just try and sand the shadow away. If it's dense wood the CA probably doesn't penetrate far. When you are getting close to the finished size on a piece and don't anticipate removing much more wood, try and mask the area around the crack with blue painters tape or some sanding sealer so the CA doesn't spread to the adjacent wood and create a shadow.

I use Ca glue with small cracks all the time with dense and soft woods. I don't usually have a real problem with it spreading much since when I am applying it, I usually am running an old hair dryer on low heat pointing it at the area. Don't run it on high as that makes it difficult to keep the glue in place. Wear some kind of mask as it sure does stink when you do that! Not too bad as long as you have the dryer blowing away from you. But, still stinks! After it dries, I find that sanding takes care of any shadow.

Last edited: