How guilds get started

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
One of the longtime members of the Kansas City Woodworkers Guild, Kevin Thomas, has been blogging on the start of the guild and how it came about, thought it was an interesting read.

https://crookedhandwoodshop.wordpress.com/2017/08/06/the-guild-part-1/

https://crookedhandwoodshop.wordpress.com/2018/01/10/the-guild-part-2/

The Kansas City Woodworkers Guild has a membership of 799 at the end of 2017. They've grown into a 10,000+ sq ft facility equipped with just about every tool you'd want in your own shop. Membership fees to use the shop start at $75 per year (and a passing score on the safety course). I don't get over to use the shop much, but they have some tools that I don't have, such as a surface sander and a room full of scroll saws. They've added 2 more Saw Stops this year and have a small CNC available with Aspire for anyone to use.

We have a makerspace here also, but they are asking about $65 a month in membership fees (or $650 annually). Of course the maker space does cover more technologies and allow younger members to use the shop. The guild limits use of the shop to members older than 18.

Last edited:
Thanks Darren.

I had a similar experience for a while with a Systems Administrators Guild and wrote/presented quite a lot of educational material for them at the time (all wildly obsolete at this point). I can say that actually running something like this is an incredible amount of work (I was just a board member not president or treasurer or anything and still.. :eek:). The folks who run these things don't give themselves enough credit.

The folks who run these things don't give themselves enough credit.

Yeah, and I thought running a forum was hard work. :rofl: Seriously though, it is a lot of work going on every day, pretty much like running a business but with all volunteer help. They do an incredible job and I know that guilds in other areas of the country have consulted with them to try to do similar things, but it's really the membership that has made it work so well.