Hardie board joint filler

Jesse Ruiz

Hi Everyone!

This is my first post and I could really use your help. Here is a little of the backstory:

About a year ago I hired a contractor to demo and install Hardie board siding (THAT WAS A MISTAKE). 11 months later, I found someone to fix about 50% of the siding job. He is going to add molding and replace the siding in certain areas, but I will need to patch/paint or find a painter to fill the siding joints and cover all the nail holes in addition to do the repainting.

-Is it normal to have siding joints on the areas where the siding is not long enough to fill the space? I have seen plenty of homes with siding, but I hardly see any joints on homes.
What do I need to use to fill the joints in? Not caulking, right? I know that the bottom of the siding needs to be caulked.
84a9e373df9ab3f1bc8680738bd94f3c.jpg

84a9e373df9ab3f1bc8680738bd94f3c.jpg

This is a joint filled in by the contractor’s guys
6e7d1a9f200c7002825c59f2ae166d65.jpg

I don’t know what material they used. But they didn’t even bother sanding it. 🤦*♂️
If i can fill the joints myself then I think i would be able to paint the siding that is replaced myself. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn’t think to even check the site. Thanks for the quick responses. [emoji2]

Hardi board is a good company with excellent customer service. If you call them they will send a local company rep out to your house and answer your questions.
If I had the opportunity I would have their siding on my home.

That is one of the worst installations I have seen. Tell me did the put a yellow fuzzy stuff (hardi backer) on the house before they installed the siding? All of those joints are to tight. Can you see the flashing at each joint? Hate to say it the guy that did this had no clue. In all honestly You should call Hardi and have them come look. So when you take this guy to court you have documents from Hardi proving he installed wrong. This really should all be stripped and redone right.

Last edited:
Hardi board is a good company with excellent customer service. If you call them they will send a local company rep out to your house and answer your questions.
If I had the opportunity I would have their siding on my home.

I have seen your home and giving it's location I would be willing to bet Hardi board would not be a good fit. Hardi board siding does not do well in locations that it can't dry out.

That is one of the worst installations I have seen. Tell me did the put a yellow fuzzy stuff (hardi backer) on the house before they installed the siding? All of those joints are to tight. Can you see the flashing at each joint? Hate to say it the guy that did this had no clue. In all honestly You should call Hardi and have them come look. So when you take this guy to court you have documents from Hardi proving he installed wrong. This really should all be stripped and redone right.

The only thing that was put on before the siding was that white water resistant paper. I put in a complaint to the California Contractor’s board and they came to take pictures already. The contractor texted me the other day saying that he’ll remove the lien from my home if I cancel the complaint lol.
I owed about 7500 and I offered him $1000 to walk away but he decided to put a lien on my home. Now he wishes that he would’ve taken the deal because I am going to need to redo my house because the Inspector said that they should’ve added more than just that white paper. There are a couple of new constructions going on around my neighborhood and those homes put on plywood before any other paper/siding. Wish I would have known this before they started the installation. Hopefully I can get enough money back from the contractor since he is insured to redo the whole home. It’s unfortunate, but I want to be able to drive into my house and be wowed every time.
Look at this mess:
30804a4292e3a201d21f67251b02c880.jpg

fcd7289ec84e847f67cc2c3e290b9ac3.jpg

856ee517abe754f42432c77c8c02b3fd.jpg

I told them to replace these metal pieces around the whole house and all the did was paint them over. When I brought it up to the contractor, he got upset, and said I never told him anything like that.
ebefe868c7a8503b8b4bf6cceed90600.jpg

I regret accepting his offer of the installation of my lights. Horrible. The second story isn’t any better.

Would this be something a handyman would be able to do on his own?
d2ed1e7387377845e5ca765077d5df60.jpg

I am referring to the facial boards being replaced and redoing them like the picture above.
969889ea8f2ea4486e0d9355d4d624b8.jpg

This is the way my situation looks now.
Thanks for all the responses.

I hate to say it but you need to sue that guy out of busness before he rips someone else off the way he did you. Every cent of your money needs to be returned plus the cost to rip all this off and do it right. I don't know about CA laws but you maybe able to recover the lawyer fees as well. Any rate call a construction lawyer today and find out what your options are. This just makes me sick that a state with supposed licensed contractors you can get this kind of work. As for your other question. No don't let or hire a handyman to reside your house. Find a reputable contractor that can show you and give you references on the hardi jobs he has done. Possibly even a certified hardi installer.