There are a few things I don’t get about the blue tooth speaker rage.

1) they battery powered and the battery goes flat and then no speaker.
Happens on the unit I was given regularly.

2) if you going to hook it up permanently for power then why not just have a fixed wire system where more of your dollars can go into the quality of the speaker itself.

3) the least efficient component in any audio system is the speaker itself.
Most people look at spending fortunes on amps etc yet the efficiency of a speaker is in the order of less than 4% and if you examine these blue tooth speakers more coin is spent on battery as a component and styling than better speakers. I thought the purpose of having speakers was to hear the best audio quality of the sound one wishes to listen to.

I have never looked into the question of frequency response of these speakers I guess that would be pointless.

Seems crazy but I think the marketing and value engineering boys have been super creative these past years moving society to pay essentially in my view a small fortune for a wireless amp speaker and battery with a fancy package.
Who says you can’t sell snow to Eskimos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... 2) if you going to hook it up permanently for power then why not just have a fixed wire system where more of your dollars can go into the quality of the speaker itself. ...

The main use for this type of speaker, as I see it, would be the rear channels on surround. Bluetooth so you don't have wires everywhere, but add a permanent power source so you don't have to worry about batteries.

In our case, I bought a Bose speaker system when we upgraded to a flat screen a few years ago. It has left and right speakers and a subwoofer/driver system. The way they tune the sound, you don't really need rear speakers.

I've got a bluetooth speaker that I use for it's portability. I.e. using out by the pool in the summer time, that sort of thing.

Rob, you're making a lot of assumptions, lol. Much the same could be said about cell phones. (Battery life, low fidelity, wired vs. wireless, etc.) :D

The higher-priced Bluetooth speakers (like Bose and JBL) have respectable battery life and surprisingly decent frequency response. No, they don't rival a good home stereo system, but that's not what they're designed to do. As Brent said, they are intended to be portable, not permanently installed. Even if you do have it permanently hooked up to power (i.e., in your shop), being able to pipe music to it wirelessly from your phone or tablet is a big plus.

Something like the kit Daris made is not an audiophile component. It's simply a $30 upgrade to the speaker in your phone or tablet. :thumb:

Nice project Daris!

I bought a couple of bluetooth speakers over xmas last year on sale, they were handy for connecting my google chromecast audio devices to and using by the pool. Now that we have a couple of echos and google minis, they've pretty much gone unused the rest of the year. I typically just play music from my phone's speakers though, going to use it's battery either way it seems.

I have two Bluetooth speakers. I carry them around inside my ears.:eek: Really. My hearing aids are Bluetooth enabled. I can listen to our TV programming from anywhere within about 100', even with the TV off. It plays through whatever channel was last watched through the TIVO. The Bluetooth can also automatically answer when I get a call on my cell phone and I can just talk without using my hands. No, I really can't. No Italian can talk without using his hands.:rofl:

Now Franks solution is fantastic.

I guess there is still some African in me and I have not totally finished my glass of the cool aid related to these things.
Don’t get me wrong. I have one but step back man, it’s a huge price for convenience.
But then I don’t particularly like to have something playing in my ears non stop. I like the sounds of silence so I can think.

Much of modern life is driven by that single word CONVENIENCE most of you guys have been raised on it.

I hope I never catch up fully in this department.

I still find the bt interface a pita when moving your speaker around and changing devices. That ends up making me desire dedicated speakers for specific devices in a multi device location. If that’s the case I might as well go back to an aux input on the shop hi fi and be done with the whole bt thing.
Now of course if I was not such a rebel and surrendered and joined the “circle” fully well then I guess everything would be well seamless hahahah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk