Using up some scraps

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
Had a little birds eye maple left from another project and figured, since this wood is a favorite of my stepson, that I might take a couple of his cars from his hot wheels collection and make him some business card holders. The cars simply sit on a glob of clear silicone so that they aren’t damaged in any way.
ff79cfa37dbe07f4ae66c106dfd9df9a.jpg

funny glenn posted last here, you, like glenn, always make quality projects, no matter how small .

great use of scraps, although I dont get the connection between cars and woodworking, unless of course you are just putting your cards in the holders for now.

if you run out of scraps, let me know, I have enough to heat 2 homes for a year, and hotwheels? well, last veterans day, I was purchasing so many hotwheels throughout eastern pa, the credit card company froze my account thinking my card was stolen, and I had to contact them to unfreeze it.
dollar general ran a sale, and I purchased every single one each store had as I travelled through each town in one day. no limits, so I just took them all.
Ive given 100s of them away, still have a few dresser draws full of them and storage bins stacked in the closet Im too lazy to dig out

Attachments

• hotwheels 002.jpg
    hotwheels 002.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 18
actually is was veterans day 2016, elen wouldnt let me go back this year, shes a party pooper.
(and it wasnt veterans day exactly, it was the saturday of veterans day weekend to be precise)
sorry about the thread drift, it brought back memories.

Last edited:
funny glenn posted last here, you, like glenn, always make quality projects, no matter how small .

great use of scraps, although I dont get the connection between cars and woodworking, unless of course you are just putting your cards in the holders for now.

Thank you. Having my work mentioned in the same post as Glenn’s is humbling!

My cards are there only as an example. I made these for my step son who is a retail service rep for Winnebago. He loves Shelby cobras and has a small collection of matchbox. The cars in the pics are not the ones that made the final cut. We found a Winnebago trailer (he works in the towable division) and a cobra concept that I’ve permanently attached. These are for his desk at the Winnebago factory where he works.

I’ll try to post pics of them as they look now.

Allen, if you’re looking for something to do with all those matchbox cars, card holders like the ones I built are selling for $25 each on Etsy.

Here are the pics of the finals.
Jake 4.jpgJake 2.jpgJake 1.jpgJake 3.jpg

Last edited: