One Step Closer!

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
As many of you know, I've been moving at a snail's pace in getting my shop set back up after moving three years ago. The biggest hurdle has been making space in the garage by getting rid of or moving all the junk (and non-junk) that LOML and I have accumulated over the years. I still have a few more things to sell or donate or otherwise get out of my way, but I'm seeing light at the end of the tunnel. The biggest piece right now is a dining room table. It's nice enough to sell (instead of donate), but I've not gotten around to listing it on Craigslist. I might also try to sell it (and a bunch of other smaller stuff) in a yard sale, but getting time to do that has been tricky.

Anyway, the next step in setting things up is to install my air line system. The first piece to install is the air drying rack described in this old thread. To do that, I need make some wooden cleats to mount to the wall. And to do that, I need my table saw. I disassembled the saw to move it to NM, and have had all the pieces in the garage for a year or more. Tonight I decided that even though I don't really have all the space I need to use it yet, it was time to get it assembled. This involved attaching both cast iron wings, the router table extension, the rails for the Incra fence, the switches for the saw and the router, and then the fence itself.

The end result: A saw is reborn! I'd forgotten how long this sucker is. :eek:

TS%203650%20Assembled%201024.jpg

I still need to attach the braces that help support the router table extension, but they're still in the storage unit, so I'll go pick them up tomorrow. (I have the day off for the Federal holiday.) Tomorrow I'll also need do any final tweaks to square up the blade and the fence, but I expect to have my 2x4 ripped into wall cleats before the end of the day. :thumb: Probably get the drying rack and clamp rack installed, too. I want to get as much done as I can in the next couple week or so, since I'm going to have more surgery done on my left elbow (removing the hardware that was installed after I broke it a bit more than a year ago), and I'll be out of commission for a month or two while it recuperates.

As a side note, after I got the saw assembled, I couldn't find the belt that connects the motor to the arbor. Figuring it had gotten lost, I ordered a new one on eBay. then 10 minutes later I went back out to the shop to take a few photos. I hadn't put the router in the router table yet, so I grabbed it off the shelf and lo and behold, the belt was on the shelf with the router. So in a week or so I'll have a brand-new spare belt for the saw, lol. :doh:

Welcome sight for sore eyes Vaughn. Great to see this happening for you.

What no carpet??? The world will never be the same. Lol

Oh and I don’t think you alone in the duplicate buying category.

That would be a good trading site to set up.... sell your brand new duplicates here. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's looking great, Vaughn! I know you're pleased to be this far along with your shop!!!

... As a side note, after I got the saw assembled, I couldn't find the belt that connects the motor to the arbor. Figuring it had gotten lost, I ordered a new one on eBay. then 10 minutes later I went back out to the shop to take a few photos. I hadn't put the router in the router table yet, so I grabbed it off the shelf and lo and behold, the belt was on the shelf with the router. So in a week or so I'll have a brand-new spare belt for the saw, lol. :doh:

Duh . . . now, how many times have I done something like that!!!

In most cases, I have Bobbie take a look around after I can't find something, whether it's in my shop or when we're shopping together. I can pass by something ten times and not see it. Then, she'll point out that, "It's right here, Dear!" Yeah, uh, thanks . . . sweetie! :eek:

You're not really alone in the "don't have room" arena, I've got two of those black cabinets with wood tops sitting in isles as I haven't cleared out the spaces where they are actually going to go yet. I had planned to do one area today since I'm off, but will see if I get motivated to work out in the cold or not.

Congrats on the first steps to recovery. ;)

You're not really alone in the "don't have room" arena, I've got two of those black cabinets with wood tops sitting in isles as I haven't cleared out the spaces where they are actually going to go yet. I had planned to do one area today since I'm off, but will see if I get motivated to work out in the cold or not.

Congrats on the first steps to recovery. ;)

Ok now Darren how can you complain about lack of space you have an entirely separate building even with a office. Lol you spoilt by comparison. :)

Hmmmm.

After looking at this I'm seriously thinking of getting rid of my router table/cabinet. Don't really have room for it, and putting the router on the table saw would really come in handy.

I think I need to revisit that.

:thumb:

If it is that Duncan Phyfe in the background, I'd be interested to see if you can get an offer (for years, haven't hardly been able to give those away around these parts). Otherwise I thought it was your outfeed table.

Yeah, We finally found a guy that bought our old Duncan Phyfe table and chairs at a community garage sale. Used it for a lot of years, but it wasn't in great shape and just didn't really work for us. Was sad to see it go, It had been in sharons family for quite a while, but nobody else in the family wanted it.

Was glad to have it go to a furniture dealer where it might live on some more.

How about that, someone who has been without a shop longer than me (20 months at the moment, and counting). Good to have things start reappearing isn't it? Congrats, oh...I've noticed that the easiest way to find something is to buy a replacement as well.

Yep, it's a Duncan Phyfe drop leaf table. The top needs refinishing, but the whole thing is made of mahogany. I've debated refinishing the top in hopes of making it a bit easier to sell, but I'm still undecided.

Oh and BTW, turns out the table saw was still dialed in nicely. Other than squaring up the fence with the miter slots, I didn't have to make any adjustments...everything is still spot on. :thumb:

Got my cleats cut and mounted, got the air drying rack and the clamp rack attached, and got the clamps up on the wall and out of my way now. :thumb: