2019 Ford Ranger

Leo Voisine

First - I am NOT a car or truck enthusiast.

I like small pickup trucks, but I don't really care about the fancy dancy details.

Back in the 70's I made a living as a mechanic and I have always fixed my cars (financial reasons)

I like the Ford Ranger - I had a 1987 Ranger, plain Jane model - used

I like that Ford is bringing the Ranger back. By the time I am ready to buy there will be a nice used one out there.

** For 2019 only ONE engine option. It's a 2.3 liter ----***>> 300 hp <<***---- engine. Are you serious - 300 hp out of a 4 cylinder engine?????

It's amazing what boost those turbos can do. I've got the 2.7L V6 with twin turbos on my 2017 F150 and it's outputting about 325 HP. I was a little hesitant with the longevity of the engine, but it's been in use for several years and there are folks approaching 300k miles with very few issues.

And a 10-speed auto transmission is the only option with that engine. Should be interesting.

I've got a '97 Ranger 4X4 with over 230K miles on it, and it still runs great.

Well that's interesting.

Hopefully they're getting the turn radius issue fixed; maybe they did before, but my 2004 turns like a dying walrus on slow-me-down meds. That's been really my only complaint with it though (vague occasional longing for more tow capacity but I knew what I was buying). Granted I have less than 60k miles on it still so it should be good for a few years yet.

Well that's interesting.

Hopefully they're getting the turn radius issue fixed; maybe they did before, but my 2004 turns like a dying walrus on slow-me-down meds. That's been really my only complaint with it though (vague occasional longing for more tow capacity but I knew what I was buying). Granted I have less than 60k miles on it still so it should be good for a few years yet.

I'd bet your Ranger can turn a circle inside the one I can get out of my 2001 Ram. :rofl:

Most places don't have curbs far enough apart for me to make a u turn!:rofl:

I have a 2010 Ranger - V6, 5 speed manual, 4WD - and I love it. Traded my 18 year old Tacoma for it a few years back. Quite an upgrade overall.

Regarding the 2019 Ranger, though, it's going to be like the GM Colorado/Canyon - a lot bigger than the truck it's replacing. Instead of being a 'compact' truck, it'll be about the size of a 1990's F150.

I really like the size of the old Ranger/Colorado/S-10/Canyon. They have a decent sized bed, and a cab that's comfortable for two. The stretched cab has a decent amount of storage behind the seat, too.

That said, I have no use for any 'double-cab' pickup. Too much cab, and too little bed. What good is a sub-five-foot bed? Can't carry much of anything in it. The only justification I can see is for the full sized trucks where the family uses it to haul a camper trailer, and they can still fit the family into the truck.

I like the little ones also.

I had a Toyota Hilux - Ford Ranger - Nissan Frontier and now a Dodge Dakota.

The Hilux, Ranger, Frontier are all before they got big.

My 2004 Dakota is a little bigger, but still in a size I like.

I kinda miss my little '91 Ranger... It had a measly 190,000 miles on it, but kept losing transmission fluid... couldn't find where it was leaking, had it in shop a few times, no one could find the leak.... my neighbor has a little car lot in town and he offered to take it off my hands.... when it ran, it was a great little truck.... I shared it with my step-son when he was home... he loved the truck too, but when we went to replace it, couldn't find anything small that didn't appear to be ragged out, so wound up with a 2003 Ford F150 extend cab... great truck, but it's so much bigger than my little ranger... after 5 years I'm still trying to get used to the size of it.

Well most every one quit ,making small trucks when the 1/2 ton started getting the same mileage..

I bought a new Mazda B2000 for 6888 in 1987, then traded it in on a New Ranger in 88 that had the 2.3, because I decided I really wanted AC. Not a good engine used a quart every 800 miles from day one. But still ran over 150 then blew and I had a junkyard install a used engine and my son finisher that engine out at somewhere around 220,000 on the truck itself. Really liked the Ranger but wished I had the V6. I later had used 87 and a 88 Bronco II that I loved.. Got better mileage in the V6 than the 2.3 four ever got. They were all manual transmissions.

Now have a 2004 extended cab F150 with 8 foot bed and hate trying to park it.

Wow lots of mistakes in that post. fixed some of them..

Garry

Last edited:
Total agreement here. I own a 1997 Ranger, V6, 5 speed manual.

That said, I have no use for any 'double-cab' pickup. Too much cab, and too little bed. What good is a sub-five-foot bed? Can't carry much of anything in it. The only justification I can see is for the full sized trucks where the family uses it to haul a camper trailer, and they can still fit the family into the truck.

So they killed the whole F100 thing (3/4 the size of the F150) and looks like they rebadged the Explorer Sport as a Ranger by the photo's. I like extended cabs, simply because they allow you to lock your tools inside (preferably under a seat or such) rather then inside a truck toolbox, with no alarm. With the size this is, could I haul a 1000lbs load in the bed of the truck (typically one load a year), otherwise this is too big for my wants/uses and I would prefer a smaller truck for day to day. (miss my old 94 Ranger, but don't miss only 2wd at times)
Also, sure would have to special order as give me manual as much as possible (windows, locks, transmission which isn't a choice here, etc).

I sold my f-150 mid way thru last year, figured Im hardly every using it or needing it, but times like yesterday when I needed to pick up 15 feet of maple, I had to go to my wifes job, switch cars, and cut the 16 footer down to 9 feet so I could fit it in her edge. And I cant carry a full sheet of plywood, so I have to have those cut down also if I want to transport it myself.
My neighbor insists on taking me locally if I need something, his pickup sits also hardly used.
its all the little projects that I always need one piece of wood.