Metamorphosis of a shop

When my wife and I were first married, I was attending a university and we were living in Student Married housing near campus. I bought a few basic auto and woodworking tools and placed them in a small tool chest with a cabinet and a removable tool box. When I wanted to make something, I hauled the needed tools out onto the balcony of the apartment and went to work (sometimes assembly or other functions took place on the kitchen table).

Our first home after graduating from university had only a carport, so all tools were stored in the basement. By this time I had a bench top 10" table saw, various small saws, hammers, chisels, and clamps. When I wanted to create a masterpiece, I hauled the tools up the stairs from the basement, and out onto the carport, then back to the basement. I could not create as much as I desired, since time was precious, and it took a long time for set up and cleanup. Sometimes, it just wasn't worth the effort unless I had a dedicated Saturday. I continued over the course of 22 years to acquire tools and store them away for some future dream shop.

In 2006, we began to search for a "final" home. The last of our 6 children was a Senior in High School, and my wife had never really liked the split-entry home we were living in. We went looking for a rambler style home. Someone had told us, you'll probably never be able to afford your dream home, so use the 80/20 rule. Find a home where you really like 80% and can live with the other 20%. I told my wife, I wanted an enclosed garage with room for my tools. She wanted enough household space to host the extended family. We found what we wanted in 2007. It had a carport with space for two cars, a long driveway with space for four more, and an RV pad with space for 3 cars. Lots of room to park cars when the family came to visit, lots of bedrooms, an adequate family room, and a nice yard for the grandchildren to play in. It also had a detached 2-car garage. I claimed it as my shop. It is my "man-cave" as well. I finally had a place for all those tools. (In fact, I have to keep reorganizing it to accommodate the "new" tools). I have some tools I haven't even unpacked yet.

I just purchased a wood turning lathe. It has a 12" x 33" capacity, and I am in the process of assembling it. (I had to finish 2 cubby-hole cabinets for my wife before she would "let" me unpack the lathe). And, I need to reorganize the shop again. I will upload a picture when it is accomplished. Hopefully before I buy another tool and have to start over... You never know, with each new project comes a new tool they say.

Welcome Gerald !:wave:

My wife and I started out in Married student housing at Purdue also. All I had at the time was a corded drill and a corded circular saw, hammer and screwdrivers for woodworking.

Look forward to seeing your shop and setup. Heck of an introductory post by the way!!!

Welcome aboard, Gerald. Glad you found us. Sounds like a pretty good set up you've got going. Looking forward to seeing some of your projects.

Welcome to our Family, Gerald! :wave:

I can definitely relate to your progression. In my case, it was an apartment balcony, corner of a garage, half of a two-car garage and finally a dedicated shop building. Congratulations on your progress!

Welcome to the clubhouse, Gerald. :wave: Sounds like you've got a great place to play/work! My first "shop" was the storage room on the back porch of a small apartment, and all I have was an electric drill and a few hand tools. Now I'm in the process of setting up all of my tools in a house we bought over 3 years ago. It has taken me this long (with several time/health/financial sidetracks along the way) to get the garage cleared out enough after the move to turn it into a shop. If you're like some of us, your shop never stops changing/expanding.

Well Howdy Neighbor!

If you're getting into woodturning, you might check out the Utah Woodturners Club. We meet in a large room under the Woodcraft store just off 90th South in Sandy. First Tuesday of the month - mingle from 6:30 to 7:00, meeting & demonstration from 7:00 to about 8:30.

Welcome Gerald. You're other tools will undoubtedly feel a bit lonely now that you have the lathe :). They're a ton of fun as many on here will tell you (and help instigate).

I think your shop progression is pretty similar to a lot of ours. I started with a drill, three chisels, a handsaw, an old #4 plane, and a claw hammer and made a surprising amount of stuff with just that. In some ways it was simpler but my back is sure happy to have a workbench (could've been taller) and the other tools make a lot of things much much easier.

Well, no woodwork going on at present, as the temperature is 5º, but we don't expect this heat wave will last. However, I did get all dressed up yesterday, and recited the Address to a Haggis at a Burns dinner last night.After that, the whole weekend is anti-climax.

Kiltit190118.jpg