keeping busy with small projects

allen levine

I havent contributed lately, not that Im lazy, although Ive slowed down alot, its been a super cold winter, and as usual, Ive dealt with my share of health headaches, but I have been working on small things that people are asking me for.
after I finished up 8 wooden reindeer early december, I did a good shop cleaning, then got to work again.
I had posted some of these small mitred wooden keepsake boxes with ceramic handles and metal feet, well, everyone who came into my house loved them, so they are gone, and I have requests for at least 6 more.
the older ones I made with wood feet, if I couldnt pull them apart or get the wooden feet or knobs off, seems I get to keep those. oh well, I never said I was any good at turning or design.
the two boxes pictured on the window ledge, one is from the old bunch, the other one I cracked when trying to redo it, Ill keep it, but I wanted to show I now have different style metal feet, 3 different types, these two and a smaller version.
I Purchased a bunch from china, incredibly cheap, had to wait 2 weeks or so, but it was worth it.
so theres a pic of the next batch I just finished, 2 coats of oil, when it gets warmer, Ill spray them, and add the feet, they are drying now.(I put the knobs on just for show, I have to remove them to spray them )
I made 2 bowls, both are gone, but I had issues again with the machine shutting after catches, so I had my future son in law here today checking out my wiring to make sure everything was ok, like I said, Im not turner, so if I dont get many hard catches Ill be ok, I had him fix a flourescent fixture also, why not, hes here.
I also started a hall table out of maple, which Ill make a sapele top for, and paint the maple with milk paint, and use some of those nice ceramic pulls/knobs on the drawer fronts. Just having fun, Im sure one of my kids will take the table when its finished.
I also got 2 requests for the little k-cup holder I made, so Ill get on those also shortly.
just trying to stay busy, weather is a bit better, I get to work a little more.

Attachments

• keepinbusy 001.jpg
    keepinbusy 001.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 59
  • keepinbusy 002.jpg
    keepinbusy 002.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 58
  • keepinbusy 003.jpg
    keepinbusy 003.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 59
  • keepinbusy 006.jpg
    keepinbusy 006.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 57
  • keepinbusy 007.jpg
    keepinbusy 007.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 54
  • keepinbusy 008.jpg
    keepinbusy 008.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 60
Good to see you're getting some stuff done despite the cold weather. Nice-looking work as usual, Allen. I'll echo Darren on the boxes. Very cool. :thumb:

I wanted to see what its like to build an entire piece without any joinery except pocket screws. not anywhere as easy as I thought.

this is just a basic piece, nothing difficult, but getting all pieces together using only pocket screws was actually challenging once I got the pieces assembled. plain ole birch plywood for drawers, some views of all the pocket holes.

going to paint it, gotta try something different, going to use solid sapele oiled as top. Im working on different projects, so its whenever I get the shop warm enough, work on all at once, Im in here now because I sprayed some lacquer on the boxes, decided spray can lacquer finish came out ok on one, so IM glad I can finish them before my daughters bachelorette gathering so I can let some of the relatives pick and choose.(not forcing anyone to take one, only if they like it, they can have one.)

Attachments

• pocletscrewmania 004.jpg
    pocletscrewmania 004.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 30
  • pocletscrewmania 007.jpg
    pocletscrewmania 007.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 31
  • pocletscrewmania 012.jpg
    pocletscrewmania 012.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 29
I've used pocket screws a lot over the years, but have never tried a whole project with them. Careful clamping before driving the screws in helps a lot. Otherwise, alignment can be tricky.

I've used pocket screws a lot over the years, but have never tried a whole project with them. Careful clamping before driving the screws in helps a lot. Otherwise, alignment can be tricky.

simple drawer runners and guides were very difficult, I not only clamped but made spacers and clamped them in to keep things in alignment.

I figured even though the back of the drawer runners might be off anywhere from 1/32 or more, I left a 1/16 or so on each side, they slide in and out easy enough without any problems. small drawers, when fronts are installed, noone will see the inside and all those pocket screws.
clamping anything for pocket screws is challenging, maybe I should invest into a kreg assembly table. (joking, Im too cheap to do that.)

I think most non-woodworkers look at pocket screw joints as some sort of amazing woodworking magic, whereas many woodworkers tend to look at them as cheating. Personally, I'm of the opinion that if it holds the pieces together where you want them, they're perfectly acceptable. It's the end result that counts, and yours looks good, Allen. :thumb:

gotta love these 50 plus degree days in january.

managed to clean up today, empty dust collector, vacuum, then dragged the drum sander out of the shed, had to move the snowblower, and 26 other things, elen had to help me, then sanded the top perfectly, only took me a few years to get the hang of using a drum sander, almost no lines, then sanded the top down so far to 80 grit, finished the drawer fronts, need to sand 2 of them, and rubbed down and finished off the boxes the last couple of days. I know the cold weather is coming back, but Im happy to be out there enjoying the shop at the end of january.

Im limiting my work out there to no more than 3-4 hours since Im nursing a bad knee. dont want to overdo it. enjoying the woodworking too much.keepin busy.

Attachments

• moreprogress 005.jpg
    moreprogress 005.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 22
  • moreprogress 003.jpg
    moreprogress 003.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 20
  • moreprogress 001.jpg
    moreprogress 001.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 20
just about finished with the blue table/more of a foyer wall table good for placement near the front door to hold keys and mail?

waiting for oil to cure another 3-4 days, then Ill just put some lacquer, maybe 2 coats of poly, and thats that.

simple stuff, nice and easy, a bit tricky with pocket screws, but no plans, just winged it the entire way. It was fun, fun to be able to turn out something quick that someone really likes.

I might include a smaller box with it with the same decorative ceramic knob.(not that box, its too big)
moving on to the kcup holders, Ill make a few of them more quick and easy projects.

oh, its 33 inches tall, 15 and 3/8 deep, and 34.5 inches wide. painted maple with solid sapele top. knobs were purchased in hobby lobby.

Attachments

• bluetable 005.jpg
    bluetable 005.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 21
  • bluetable 006.jpg
    bluetable 006.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 19
  • bluetable 010.jpg
    bluetable 010.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 20
While working on a lot of boxes I️ made this flag out of some pallet wood
The stars are not pallet wood