any of you spinny guys want to give this a try?

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
Jan is rehabing an old dresser and she wants to save the knobs this time (an unusual occurrence :rofl:).

Problem is we have a couple that are damaged. I'd like to hear from someone that might be able to turn a couple of new ones for us. They will be painted, so wood choice is not critical.

Any takers? (The threaded dowel is not necessary. I can figure out another option to attach it.

IMG-2979.jpgIMG-2980.jpgIMG-2981.jpgIMG-2982.jpg

Can you send me one? I'll put it out as an assignment for my beginners. Send the best two or three back to you. If you have the time, it would be a fun assignment for them. If under a time crunch, feel free to pick someone else. Let me know Rennie.

Can you send me one? I'll put it out as an assignment for my beginners. Send the best two or three back to you. If you have the time, it would be a fun assignment for them. If under a time crunch, feel free to pick someone else. Let me know Rennie.

Time is not a concern - PM me an address and I'll get a few off to you!

Thanks!!

Got the knobs Rennie. Next week it is going to be the advanced students assignment. One started yesterday. At the end of the hour this is what it is looking like so far. Am going to try to document his design build for posterity.

Knob beginning.jpg

The plan is to turn the dowel with the knob, put some grooves on the dowel (I assume for glue holding?). If you don't want this let me know.

It looks like the face of the existing knob is cross grain, while the face of the replacement knob will be end grain. Even painted, it may present a different appearance, and the thin "handle" of the knob may be fragile.

It looks like the face of the existing knob is cross grain, while the face of the replacement knob will be end grain. Even painted, it may present a different appearance, and the thin "handle" of the knob may be fragile.

Good point, also looks like the dowel was added after as its a different wood (and if it was turned in the orientation you describe it would be cross grain as well).

Yep! Charlie's right.

Good point, also looks like the dowel was added after as its a different wood (and if it was turned in the orientation you describe it would be cross grain as well).
Good points all. I'm sure this is something Jonathan is working on with his students. Extra credit for the one that recognizes the issue! :D

The plan is to turn the dowel with the knob, put some grooves on the dowel (I assume for glue holding?). If you don't want this let me know.

I believe using the dowel in the chuck is the way to go. I wouldn't attempt turning with end grain on the knob, too fragile. Plus stain would soak in sumptin fierce. Although certain woods would be OK. e.g. I turned a dozen of something similar once using Osage Orange. Tough stuff but hard to stain.

Good eyes guys, he hasn't figured out his grain direction yet. When he does, but he starts looking from now on. Yeah, one of those teachers that sometimes just lets them go until they realize it isn't right. Now I didn't think of the dowel being cross grain and fragile. So, thanks for that hint.

These arrived in the mail today, thanks Jonathan! They are perfect.
3c52cd24fc833f76ecdb4d2027d8d651.jpg