Barrel Bolts - Need source

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
I have a friend that is in need of some knock-down hardware. He's scoured his local sources and searched on line but has been unable to find exactly what he needs. None of my suggestions to him have panned out either.

I'm sure one of you must have come across one of these in the past, so I place it before the group. Following is his description of what he is looking for. Thanks in advance!!:thumb:

Have found them with various names…barrel bolts, binding bolts, Chicago bolts and sex bolts. Have seen two styles…one has a long barrel on the nut and the screw matches the inside diameter of the barrel. The nut barrel would penetrate both pieces of board thus the same hole size is drilled into each board.
LINK
The other kind has a shorter barrel on the nut. The screw threads match the inside diameter of the barrel, but it has a throat (unthreaded part) that matches the outside diameter of the barrel nut. The barrel nut would only partially penetrate the second board and could/would meet up with the throat from the screw. Again, the same hole size would be drilled into each board.
LINK

What I need is a bolt that can firmly bind 2pcs of 11/16” pine boards (approximately 1¼” long) and another bolt that can firmly bind 1pc of 11/16” pine board and 1pc of 1½” D.Fir (approximately 2” long). I would prefer that “flat” heads as shown in the second photo, with a 5/16” diameter barrel. Oh, and I would really like them in a black finish.

So far, all I have been able to find locally are barrel nuts with a ¾” long barrel but no screws with the larger throat. Plan B would be to use the short barrel nuts and a screw with the required length, but I would need to drill different diameter holes into the matching boards.

Search for "Bookbinder's Bolts."

I had the same problem finding them, but the hardware guy at Hartville Hardware (the store, not the online tool store) clued me in on what they're called. They had about half a dozen sizes in stock.