Cnc waste board and inserts

Rob Keeble

Thanks to Bill and Leo for their tips on finding zero because I made my own point Leo and Bill I chose center as a start point.

Worked like a charm.

40 insert holes in 5 minutes and 40 flange recesses in same. Could have speeded up the flange recesses but favoured caution given prior experience ripping into clamp lol.

IMG_0178.jpgIMG_0180.jpgIMG_0181.jpg

So now I have a matrix of inserts to clamp to on essentially a second layer waste board, have the rails as well for other type clamps.

The insert has a flange that is on the bottom side to prevent it from pulling out.

Man I was impressed drilling precision holes for the inserts was so cool.

They 13mm long so I can now skim cut the surface and get the whole lot in one plane.
Inserts are 1/4 20 thread.

The inserts are 6mm hex rear so they sold with an Allen key but I was not going to be putting 120 inserts in with an Allen key.

So I used my Bosch 10v driver with its ratchet and a ball nose 6mm Allen wrench I got in a set from Aliexpress . Bit is 100mm long or 4 inch.

IMG_0182.jpg

Made short work of the install and it helped with centring the insert in the hole as it’s driven in.

Very happy with everything now.

Now to buy VCarve because I don’t think I could tolerate another day of the Carbide program.

It helped me get to this point but no ways will it be what I use in the future.

Oh and would you believe my war story. So router and cnc are going for it drilling holes. Get to start of last one on one of the boards and lo and behold my laptop battery dies and laptop shuts down. Router just stayed in one place at the top of hole. So I got the power pack started it all up again and did not even zero just ran the program again and it went through each hole diligently and finished the last one when it’s turn cane up.
You can imagine what nice words were said. Lol

And my DuPont connectors arrived so as soon as the crimping tool gets here I can rewrite and be done with messing with the machine and get down to making stuff.

Thanks for the help and support guys.

Heck of a way to make a lot of peg board :D :thumb:

Most of what I've done wouldn't benefit a huge amount from the CNC but man for bulk small production work in this vein it could save so much time. There are some other projects I've just skipped because I lack the precision to pull them off.. which would be similarly useful. Not doing it until I'm done with the day job though.

I don't know how the carbide program works but I can say you won't regret buying Vcarve. I know I didnt.

Progress is good!!! Hope all continues to go well with your build, Rob. :thumb:

I'll chime in with Brent in saying you won't regret buying VCarve. When I started with my CNC, I used whatever free stuff was out there. As I moved along, I realized I needed better capability and took the plunge to buy VCarve Desktop. Several months later, I upgraded to VCarve Pro. You'll like it!