Which Version of SketchUp Make Do You Use?

Which version of SketchUp Make Do You Use?

Votes: 8 66.7%

Votes: 1 8.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 7/7.1

• Older than that

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thanks Ryan. At this point SketchUp Free is still getting rapid development and seems to be improving almost daily. It doesn't have all the capabilities of Make,yet, but they are getting closer. I see a lot of potential for it, though.

Right now I'm wondering what folks are using if they have the desktop client version installed for a variety of reasons. One is how far back do I need to make SU files openable for Fine Woodworking?

One is how far back do I need to make SU files openable for Fine Woodworking?

I wonder what the technological skill variation is between various groups (very roughly using "more modern version of SU is more likely more computer savvy" as a base metric). I'm assuming you're running the same poll in various other places. It would be really interesting to see how much variation you see between those.

So far I've only posted the poll on WoodNet and here. I expect you're right that the more computer savvy folks would be more likely to keep up with updates. But I think there's also those folks who figure they've got what they need and their fine with it. Kind of like those who buy a new car every model year and those who run them into the ground.

Dave, as you know, I use SU for the occasional drawing of a piece of furniture or smaller project. Although I've considered paying for a Pro license, I haven't justified it yet based on my usage. I have not looked at the browser version yet.

Hi Bill, as long as Make works for you and you're not using it for money making projects, that's cool. You should have a look at the free version just to get familiar with it. You might find it useful, too.

Hi Bill, as long as Make works for you and you're not using it for money making projects, that's cool. You should have a look at the free version just to get familiar with it. You might find it useful, too.

Will do, Dave.

By the way, one of the things you've always encouraged us to do is spend at least a few minutes a day on SU. Well, I can't say I do that and it bites me in the - you know where - at times! :D

I use it for project design and 3d printing. Last time I checked I couldn't run plug ins in sketchup free? That's the main reason I'm using Make.

Will do, Dave.

By the way, one of the things you've always encouraged us to do is spend at least a few minutes a day on SU. Well, I can't say I do that and it bites me in the - you know where - at times! :D

It'll happen. It's the same as with anything you do in the shop, too. If you don't do it for a long time, you get out of practice and it shows.

I wonder what the technological skill variation is between various groups (very roughly using "more modern version of SU is more likely more computer savvy" as a base metric). I'm assuming you're running the same poll in various other places. It would be really interesting to see how much variation you see between those.

Maybe I'm an outlier here, but I'm pretty computer/technologically savvy and I'm using 2015. I only use it every once in a while, and when I do, I'm using it only for very basic shapes and not really designing anything of substance. Granted, I've not really been building anything for quite a while, but most recently I've been using it to play with shop layout ideas. But still, 2015 has done everything I need it top do, so I've not been compelled to upgrade. ;)

Maybe I'm an outlier here, but I'm pretty computer/technologically savvy and I'm using 2015. I only use it every once in a while, and when I do, I'm using it only for very basic shapes and not really designing anything of substance. Granted, I've not really been building anything for quite a while, but most recently I've been using it to play with shop layout ideas. But still, 2015 has done everything I need it top do, so I've not been compelled to upgrade. ;)

I'd personally consider 2015 as still pretty up to date for the most part. I was looking at the 7 and earlier as being pretty old. I mean there could certainly be good reasons for not upgrading as well and taking the numbers one at a time wouldn't be super meaningful either I don't think. Taking a larger sample though I still think you could make some rather hand wavy statements about how comfortable most folks in a given venue are with new technology.

Hi Rennie,

Yes. That's right. Thanks. I'm mainly interested in the major version. The reason for listing 7 and 7.1 is that there were some bigger changes between those two than a typical minor update would indicate.

Taking a larger sample though I still think you could make some rather hand wavy statements about how comfortable most folks in a given venue are with new technology.

Agreed.

And as an aside, I must figure a way to work "hand wavy" into my normal conversation. "D