Belts vs Variable speed

Tony Falotico

Nova 1624/44 vs Nova DVR -- identical except for the head
variable speed vs belt drive.
$1K vs $2K.
Sure would love the DVR.

My dilemma -- ran across what may be a super deal on a slightly used 1644 -- person bought it 4 months ago, missed the variable speed from his old lathe so he went back and bought the DVR and is selling the 1644.

My Question -- How big a mistake would I be making if I go for the belts vs the variable speed? I'm currently on a Delta Midi and ready to upgrade. Been looking at the Nova DVR's and Jet's with variable speed control -- but this is a super deal that's hard to walk away from .........

Help, please ------- Tony

Last edited:
Tony, if the 1624/44 is really a GREAT deal, then get it, down the road, if you can swing the DVR, then when you sell the 1624/44 you are not out much, and will have the use of a great lathe.

I know if you could afford it, you would just pop for the DVR, but if you buy the 1624/44 for such a good deal, then over the next year or so, save your pennies, and when you go to buy the DVR, you sell the 1624/44 for 85% of what you paid for it, you are money ahead.

Besides, maybe the guy who bought the DVR and is selling the 1624/44 will upgrade to a Oneway :D

Cheers!

Tony, what Stu said is true, but having used both, I'd be hard pressed to be without a true VS in the future. I still love my Delta Midi, but I'm using it less and less all the time now that I have my mustard monster.

Tony that is what I think is called being caught between a rock and a hard place. To me it would depend on the deal you get. If it is a good deal jump on it. If it is near new price then I would think about it. Tony I went to Woodcraft in Kansas City when I was there on business. I got to use both the DVR and 1624. Both are awful nice lathes. Both are smooth and powerful. The belt was easy to move around and didn't seem to bother. You can't go wrong with either. My problem was if I hadn't got to turn on the DVR I probably would have gone with the 1624. I just fell for the variable speed. When I got home I drove to Denver and picked up the DVR. It is a awful nice lathe and I love the variable speed. I am going to retire shortly and wanted a good lathe. I think this lathe will last me a good long while.

As I said if you go with the 1624 you won't be disappointed.

In addition to the obvious difference in price, my take is that changing a belt speed is not that big an issue. In fact, the small change in posture, concentration and muscle movement can sometimes be welcome when doing one job for any length of time. I'll qualify by saying I notice that more and more as the years go by.

Here She Is ......

Met a wonderful Gentleman this morning (with the most kick butt shop full of toys .. errr ... tools!!). He bought this in February, took some private lessons and then replaced it with the DVR. Based on the status of his shop and other things ... I'm confident it was well taken care of. Runs smooth as I expected.

The spurs, face plate, and accessory tools are still factory wrapped (he just used the originals from this on his new lathe).... the only thing missing is the stand which is holding his new DVR up.

He gave me an awesome deal on it.........

Attachments

• P1010110 (572 x 428).jpg
    P1010110 (572 x 428).jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 31
  • P1010108 (572 x 428).jpg
    P1010108 (572 x 428).jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 27
Congrats Tony. You are going to like it. It is a smooth running lathe and has plenty of power. When I tried the 1624 in KC I tried to stall it but never did. Now build you a solid bench and make some shavings.

Whoo Hoo!!

now you are cooking with gas!! :headbang: :D

Build a good solid stand, and leave room on it for one extension bed, then when you can, buy that extension bed, best money you will spend, as the added length opens up a lot of things to do, and being able to push the tailstock all the way to the end, out of the way is worth it alone!

Cheers!

You know, You can always call Tim Giest(sp) and buy a DVR head to install on the 1624. He said he sometimes gets refurb heads that he sells.

Sorry don't have his contact info handy. Maybe someone else will chime in with it.

Found it. FYI Tim is the US Distributer for Teknatool.
Phone Tim Geist on
(304) 295-8166 EST
or email to

Tvgeistmfg@aol.com

Last edited:
Thanks for the contact Richard -- I knew that upgrade is an option but was unable to find any info on how / where to get the upgrade head. The Teknatool site is real nice but does not give any info on how to get parts.