Loft Closure

Started patching walls upstairs today, this was not part of the contractor quote. He had some parts to patch there, but I'm wanting to get the room back into use sooner than his schedule. Also had lots of nail pops to fix outside of the quote.

165435533533b3b34bbc4855989ee5c0.jpg
5f13c593a90a989529629fe6d5df278e.jpg
9628790f645738de87b265132c256607.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I had a couple of larger holes that needed patched. This is a little trick my dad taught me.

Cut a piece of drywall a little larger than the hole, about 2" per side. Then on the back side score a hatch with the middle section the size of your hole.
5512431411a4134ab823f0d53926b314.jpg

Break away the side pieces, pealing them away from the front paper. Back butter this piece with drywall mud after verifying it fits your hole.
3353ee6e007f59c1fb60b26178f9a575.jpg

Then place in the hole and trowl smooth. No need for furring strips and screws, or even drywall tape.
366323dae8430a656f9f665bfb824b1c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. I got my final coat on yesterday upstairs, the contractor came by today and got his first fill coat on and plans to let it dry a couple of days. May get mine sanded tomorrow. I picked up a couple of paint samples yesterday, just waiting on SWMBO to make the final decisions on those to get some paint on.

I certainly feel your pain on the structural wood being cut away....

aparto_II_idiot_plumber.JPG

.... This is from an aparto renovation I did, see where they added a new toilet in upstairs?
No need for that joist, we will just plop a big heave porcelain toilet on top of this cut through joist.....

LOL

This weekend was mostly final sanding, touch-ups, and painting. Got the first half of that done yesterday with primer on all the new patches. Today was masking off and painting all the walls. Just got the second coat on the "accent" wall next to the chimney, it may need a third coat as I should have primed the walls before going to the darker color, I'm still seeing the patches through the red. She wants to put some cork on the center area of the chimney since her desk will be in front of that area.
2018-02-25 20.54.01.jpg

The rest of the room covered in mostly one coat, but did roll over a few places again for good measure. It was like doing a room and a half with the high ceilings on the one side. :rolleyes:
2018-02-25 20.53.09.jpg 2018-02-25 20.53.19.jpg

Also picked up some flooring from the blue borg that was a close match to our existing floors in the bedrooms that was on clearance. Pergo also had a 10% off Promo, so pretty much saved the sales tax on the lot too. :thumb:
2018-02-25 20.56.07.jpg

I need to stop and buy new baseboards to paint while the flooring acclimates the next few days.

The contractor should be back tomorrow for another coat of mud on the downstairs ceiling, hoping he'll finish up this week to get it painted and trimmed out as well.

Edit: Got the last coat on the accent wall and removed the frog tape (which I really like that stuff, works great!).
2018-02-25 22.30.26.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good! I've thought about airless sprayers, but I guess it wouldn't pay off for just a few rooms.

I've got one, but thinking about getting a little better model. I've got several upcoming projects that between doors and trim work will make it worth having. Everything I did this weekend was with a brush and roller. I did use the wagner paint stick roller for the sandstone colored walls, that made that job only about a hour of painting, love that thing.

Contractor should be here tomorrow to do some priming/painting, hopefully he'll wrap up this week, then I can do a few things I need to do downstairs so that we can have our living space back again.

Tonight I picked up some base molding and quarter round, and got some paint slapped on.
2018-02-27 22.07.43.jpg 2018-02-27 22.08.04.jpg

I also picked up some of these saw horses from Lowes, which are comparable to the ones I posted a few weeks back my contractor has, they were $35 each and rated for 1300 lbs. They close up to a pretty compact form for storage.

099198850245.jpg 099198850245_07644801.jpg

I like the look of those sawhorses, Darren. :thumb: It's looking like space will be kind of tight in my shop once I get it set up. I could see a pair of folding sawhorses being the base of an assembly table that can be broken down and stored pretty easily.

I like the look of those sawhorses, Darren. :thumb: It's looking like space will be kind of tight in my shop once I get it set up. I could see a pair of folding sawhorses being the base of an assembly table that can be broken down and stored pretty easily.

One thing I notice is that they do have a little side to side play since the legs aren't splayed outward, so they wouldn't be the best use for scaffolding, at least all the time.

One thing I notice is that they do have a little side to side play since the legs aren't splayed outward, so they wouldn't be the best use for scaffolding, at least all the time.

I have two pairs of these:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/34-in-Adjustable-Folding-Sawhorse-SH3801/206261852

They're pretty solid but they're a bit short for me (6'2") and you can't really fold them easily with the legs extended at all (the leg extension is a 8 wing nuts across the 4 legs so mildly annoying to change). For casual use I think the ones Darren found look a bit easier.

Today the contractor got the ceilings sanded and primed, should be painting them tomorrow.

Last night SWMBO made an executive decision that we should remove the chair molding along the longer wall. :doh: So I executed that and got a couple of coats of mud on, did a final coat tonight. Hopefully I can get all of the walls painted and the trim work finished this weekend if the contractor and electrician finish up their parts.

Tonight was putting down trim in the office upstairs, so I should be able to start on flooring next for this room. Maybe start on it tomorrow night and finish up on Friday.
2018-02-28 22.10.36.jpg 2018-02-28 22.10.41.jpg

Don't you have a change order clause in your marriage vows?:rofl:

Yes, there is, and she has the right to change her mind at any moment. ;)

Didn't get as much done as I hoped to this weekend, but got the walls primed downstairs Friday night. Saturday after I got back from a 50th anniversary party the grandson came first, so we played, a lot. After his mother came to take him screaming home tonight, as he didn't want to leave, I got most of the walls touched up. I ran out of masking tape, so still have to do some edging tomorrow night and a couple of spots that need a second coat, then get the trim caulked and touched up where it was removed.
2018-03-04 22.25.48.jpg 2018-03-04 22.26.03.jpg 2018-03-04 22.26.14.jpg

The electrician should be here tomorrow to finish up his work and I'll sign off the last check to the contractor.

Still have the beam to cover and floors to finish upstairs, then will be working on the barn door and starting on the kitchen.