Turning live edge again.

Once i moumted the block after removing corners then once moumted I brought out the saws-all and trimmed even more. So tomorrow the shaping will camences .

Attachments

• 20180205_165451.jpg
    20180205_165451.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 41
  • 20180205_165438.jpg
    20180205_165438.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 43
That's a nice chunk of wood, Dave. Spalted maple burl? If you keep this bowl stuff up, you might want to consider buying a chuck. gives you a lot more options than a faceplate does. ;)

Vaughn I've been learning how to use the NOVA I bought a while back. It's great for pot calls. Lost the worm screw and picked one up when I bought the gouge.

I think I've used the worm screw with my chuck maybe 3 or 4 times. I prefer to put the blank between centers and get it round, then cut a tenon at the tailstock end (where I can get to to better). Once that's done, I put the chuck on the spindle, flip the blank around, and then mount it in the chuck. I'll often keep the live center on the blank until after I have the outside completely shaped. Then I move the tailstock back out of the way (or take it off the lathe) and do the hollowing of the inside. The net result is that I waste a lot less of the blank than I would if I was using the worm screw or a faceplate and screws.

I think I've used the worm screw with my chuck maybe 3 or 4 times. I prefer to put the blank between centers and get it round, then cut a tenon at the tailstock end (where I can get to to better). Once that's done, I put the chuck on the spindle, flip the blank around, and then mount it in the chuck. I'll often keep the live center on the blank until after I have the outside completely shaped. Then I move the tailstock back out of the way (or take it off the lathe) and do the hollowing of the inside. The net result is that I waste a lot less of the blank than I would if I was using the worm screw or a faceplate and screws.
that seems to sim u how I'm working my live edge blanks. I keep forgettimg to tirn the tail stock. Just getting the system worded out.

I think I've used the worm screw with my chuck maybe 3 or 4 times. I prefer to put the blank between centers and get it round, then cut a tenon at the tailstock end (where I can get to to better).

Vaughn I can see now what you were trying to tell me, good learning experience ! Darn thing beat the heck out of me. Bent the worm screw on a catch but I did pick up a nice scrapper and wingback ? gouge while at WoodWorkers Club today. So I the bowl back to True center with not to much trouble and maybe a 1/8" in reduction and one of the tips 1/2" long chipped off. So I consider myself lucky.

If you bent the worm screw, I'm betting it was either not screwed in deep enough, or the hole in the wood stripped out and it became loose. When you're using the worm screw, it's important for the jaws of the chuck to also be making good contact with a flat spot on the blank. That keeps the piece from wobbling (and bending the screw). This guys explains it pretty well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI-utYAfXJI