No more important safety tool

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
So, A bit more than a week ago I went to the eye doc and got a new prescription. We dropped our VSP insurance, as all it really seemed to do was lock us into buying our glasses at the eye doc and not sure it ever really saved us that much money at any rate.

So, I just had him give me my prescription. I then went and bought some prescription safety glasses and some prescription sunglasses online.

The safety glasses have bifocals and a scratch coating and side guards, for a grand total of 80$. The sun glasses have a mirrored tint and scratch coating (single vision) and were 60 bucks. Even with the discounts I would have gotten before a single pair of glasses would have cost more. I got the sunglasses at https://www.zennioptical.com/ and the safety glasses at http://www.rx-safety.com/.

I used an app on my phone where you hold a credit card up to your face and take your picture and it figures out your PD (pupillary distance) for you.

I have to say I'm actually pretty impressed with how well both glasses fit and how well I can see out of them.

safetyglasses.jpg
MirroredShades.jpg

The app sounds simpler than having the boss use a dial caliper too figure the PD (actually put scotch tape on the lenses of an old pair and had her mark it a fine felt tip then used the caliper).

The other trick was to measure my ear width, nose width, etc with some outside calipers. With all the measurements I was able to find frames that actually fit my face a lot better than the so called optician who was always like "do you like how it looks?". To which the inevitable response was "how would I know, I can't see any of it".

Bookmarked rx-safety, already a happy Zenni customer.

I'll have to remember that. The last pair of safety glasses I bought (from the optometrist) was really a hassle. All the frames they had in stock were "designer" influenced, and to me when it comes to safety glasses function is far more important. They finally found a pair of frames that had lenses the size I wanted...but they had to order in one for me to see. Then the tech was laughing at how large they were.....