Sometimes I Have To Be Reminded

Dave Hoskins

We have all done things that define the word "dumb" or "stupid". Right? Well, I was ripping a fairly large cottonwood log today with the big boy (Stihl MS880) with the 4' bar. As things would have it the log still has a bunch of water in it which really makes it difficult to rip. And, can cause the saw while wide open to buck on ya. I mean you could see water running out of the cut as the saw was going. THAT'S WET!! And, I don't care who you are. Anyway, I was going along and seeing this fine stream of water coming out and not thinking kept going wide open instead of slowing down the saw. And, yep. It bucked on me and bucked really good. I managed to keep it under control while shutting it down but really strained the right upper arm. Mainly the same bicep muscle that got sewed back on back in 2011. Yanked it off the bone at the elbow. Another real smart move on my part. Anyway, the muscle is still attached (whew) but as the old saying goes "pain reminds us that we are still alive". I think I am very alive right now. :D

I agree with Darren. Sounds like it could have gone a lot worse than it did. Rest up, heal up. The bowls can wait. ;)

The sad part about it is I know better than to run that thing wide open while ripping wet cottonwood. With the super rip chains I use all the time you only need to run it about 1/2 throttle on wet cottonwood for best results. I have thought about a sawmill, but I need to eat more beans and tortillas to buy one right now. And, as few BIG logs that I rip, I am not sure I can really justify the cost of one. But, for now I guess I'll just think keep on and maybe use a bit shorter bar. Starting to get easier to do two smaller cuts than one big one. And, I'm just happy I frogged the bicep muscle and nothing else happened.