Going back home to Blighty

Roger Tulk

My last, and favourite, uncle died last Friday at the age of 94. He was a remarkable man who lived a full life, from joining the Merchant Navy in WW2 while underage, to obtaining a degree while in his forties and getting promoted from school caretaker to school teacher. He was always fun, and kind to everyone. He was a handyman, used to make fibreglass canoes in his back yard, was always making something or repairing something, and then rode a bicycle the length of Britain when he was 66. My brother and I had plans to go and see him in April, although we both knew he may not make it.

So, I am flying to England on Monday, on a tortuous flight that goes from Toronto to Philadelphia, then to Amsterdam, then to Birmingham over 18 hours. It was half the cost of any other flight I could find. I'll be taking a train from B'ham to Preston where my cousin will pick me up for the hours drive to his home. That will be on Tuesday night, and the funeral is on Wednesday, so I hope I and my belongings all arrive in time. Getting home on the 27th will be just as miserable, but all in daylight.

Getting to spend time with my English relatives will be wonderful, I"m afraid this may be my last chance to go to England, so I'm going to make the best of it, even under these circumstances. Wish me a safe and trouble free journey, at least so I get to the church on time.

My condolences to you and your family, Roger. Your uncle sounds like he was quite a guy. Here's wishing you a safe and enjoyable trip, despite the circumstances.

Sorry to hear about your uncle.
All of my father's siblings have now died.
Four of my mother's siblings are still alive. We actually just got back from visiting 2 of them, but it was only 2 hours each way.

How has your health been recently?

Four of my mother's siblings are still alive. We actually just got back from visiting 2 of them, but it was only 2 hours each way.

How has your health been recently?

It's a great kindness to remember to visit your older relatives. When I was visiting my Dad, who thought I was his brother who died in 1945, I was seeing rooms full of people whose families had forgotten them.

I'm doing really well these days. I am walking well, but I am still taking a wheelchair through the four airports on my trip next week. I won't be able to handle the distances this early. But, I'm feeling well. Thanks for asking.