Surf’s up!

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
Living along a river can be very nice, and at times relaxing, place to be. However, every once in a while presents its challenges. For instance we have had a lot of snow followed by very warm weather and 4 to 6 inches of rain in some areas. All that adds up to more water than the river can handle. It is already a foot above flood stage and expected to rise another foot or more before it begins receding tomorrow night. 13 inches more and it will be touching my back patio. 4 inches more than that, and we’ve got a big problem. It is already at the 100 year flood marker. I may not sleep well tonight!

fbaf870f543fb9b1ccba4be1401647b1.jpg

93ff092367a35a7307d2d2fa943ab27c.jpg

ca91505995e2a6ab8bac4010feb7c4be.jpg

I have been wondering how it was at your end of the river. As a kid our farm bordered the Kankakee river and in Indiana it was straightened. Thus, the bottom of the river was higher than our fields! We had a 1/4 of river frontage of the new river, over a mile of old river bottom throughout the farm. That is one reason it got straightened. Yes, living beside a river presents many challenges.

We've got some similar looking terrain just south of me maybe 6-7 miles. Nothing's gone over any roads as of yet, but the rains aren't gonna stop here until Saturday night. I'm getting a dose of cabin fever but the tamales while ago helped!

Around here there is the extra problem of ice dams that can cause the water to rise and then suddenly give way sending a surge downstream.

Thankfully, we are not having to deal with that. Ours seems to be very slowly rising, about an inch every 4 or 5 hours. Some reports say our area will crest around midnight tonight. If so, based on current rates, we will be safe by about 8 inches. However, other reports put the crest late tomorrow or early Saturday. That could spell trouble.

I told Jan, all I am hoping for is to swing my feet out of the bed in the morning and put them down on a dry floor. :rofl: I keep having these memories of an old Gunsmoke episode where Chester builds an underground home and wakes up to several feet of water surrounding him.

Still even if it crests by midnight that's a bit on the close side. I guess the slow rise is a lot better than the flash floods that tend to happen out on the west coast, but doesn't make the long term a whole lot more palatable.

Stay dry!

Well Rennie not to far from me in Ontario we had an ice dam in river thats caused mandatory evacuation.
And the loss of a 3 year old child.

Keep dry bud i will keep you in my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At 7:15 this morning the river was at 9.7’. Flood stage is 8’. They are predicting 10.4’ by 1PM. That should put it at an inch or two below our patio which is only 4” above or floor level. Too close in my book!

Jan is still sleeping, but when she awakes I think it would be wise for us to pack a bag, get everything important off the floor, gather up important papers, computers, etc. and put them in the car. Just in case.
c7a039c0d474e64908250feff9fce8ee.jpg

Dang, last year the chairs, this year the garden! Wishing you well Rennie. Floods are not fun. Our farm flooded in 1980, shallowest spot on the entire 60 acres, 6'. Yep, six feet! We could boat over the five strand barb wire fences without lifting the motor on a boat! Went 2 1/2 miles down a blacktop road in a motor boat! Set things up countertop high at least if you do leave. Please set up a trail camera if you do leave, records of visitors will be helpful. Our county is shutting down roads at 4:30 pm today, fines for anyone on county roads. Been watching https://www.wunderground.com/US/MI/079.html?hdf=1 to keep up on your situation. Doesn't sound like you'll stay dry but will keep praying for you buddy!

if you need help give me a call..

Thanks my friend. I won’t hesitate to call if I need it.

My neighbor has lived here for 45 years and says my house has never flooded. Historical data says that we had 10.7’ in ‘89, we’re expecting 10.4’ Sunday. Close, but should not make it into the house.

As it has been said, a slow rise is better than a flash flood. It is, however, agonizing to watch the slow inching up of the water and thinking about all the new expensive hardwood floors I’ve laid down.

Latest development..

For those of you who have more experience living in rural areas than I, the water table has risen high enough to flood my pump house and the pump is partially submerged. Other than to not put my toes in the water, what should I be doing? Should I cut power to the pump?
e9826760c2c08810e8f1096e7e940cda.jpg

Dang, that is indeed too close for comfort, Rennie. I think you have a good plan in mind. I'm not enough of a pump expert to offer any advice about your question regarding the flooded pump house, but I'll continue hoping for the best for you.

Is the pump house above flood water and that 'water table' has just seeped in from below? Maybe a small electric pump could keep pace with seepage to keep the water out. Is your well caped so surface water can't get in to contaminate? I'd be tempted to pop that breaker, if it hasn't already popped.