Super Simple Saw Vise

glenn bradley

My previous vise gave me ideas for how to simplify this one. I glued up some scrap 3/4" BB ply to make a pair of blanks about 4-1/2" by 12".

Saw Vise (1).jpg

Then I used the router table to cut a clearance groove in each. To make it even simpler you could build this up gluing different thicknesses of ply instead. I knew the clearance I wanted and standard thicknesses were not going to get me there..

Saw Vise (2).jpg

I used the tablesaw to put some bevels to allow clearance for the file handle (and my hands).

Saw Vise (3).jpg

I cut some mortises and pulled a couple of floating tenons from my stock. I waxed the tenons to keep them from sticking.

Saw Vise (4).jpg . Saw Vise (5).jpg

The tenons just make the pair handle more like a single object when slipping the saw in and setting the rig in the bench vise. You could use a spline as well.

Saw Vise (6).jpg

I set on a stool, use the magnifier/lamp and go to it.

Saw Vise (7).jpg

I failed to show the saw set pliers and my mill file that is wedged into a block of hardwood for jointing but, I do use them use them :rolleyes:.

Last edited:
Gave it a test run sharpening my Veritas 14 TPI. I needed to increase the groove height to make using the saw set more comfortable. You can see the final groove profile in the background.

Saw Vise (9).jpg

Last edited:
Nice and simple.

I've seen older ones where the bottom was held together with a leather strap or hinges, similar idea but I think the loose tenons would make it easier to keep aligned (at least that's been a problem with my more primitive setups).

Nice and simple.

I've seen older ones where the bottom was held together with a leather strap or hinges, similar idea but I think the loose tenons would make it easier to keep aligned (at least that's been a problem with my more primitive setups).

Leather straps is what my previous version used. Workable but, a little clumsy. I added these helpers this morning. Now I can loosen the vise to reposition the saw without having to hang on to the whole thing :). Again, this could be a cleat or a spline on each jaw.

Saw Vise (10).jpg

Hello everyone,

I'm new here.

Nice doing, Glenn-looks like exactly what I need!

David

Welcome David. I added a couple more "hanger" pegs higher up the outsides, nearer the gripping point. Using the lower pegs shown in post #5 the some saws would slip. These are all rip saws so the saw setting lower to the bench is not issue.