Will painted PLY/OSB hold up to weather?

chris johnson

I am going to build a playhouse for my little princess and don't know what to use for the floor/walls. If painted will 1/2 in ply hold up to Seattle weather. What about the floor? PLY/OSB if it is sealed? I need to get started soon so your help is appreciated.

Chris

chris, seattle is soggy.....any of the laminated sheets that are rated for exterior use will have some type of coating on them that would most likely mess with paint. i`ve had good luck with baltic birch being exposed to the weather and it paints well......in otherwords i`d not trust any 4x8 material unless you cover it with either siding or shingles.....tod

another thought,,i saw a storage shed by rubbermaid that would hold up to the weather and could be reused after your princess had moved on to boy's and girl friends:D and the square footage would be more for the dollar the floor could easily be replaced.i think it might have a floor availbe as well ...just another look from the otherside of life:wave:

While I'm in a different climate, the old deck on our house was built with pressure treated ply and carpeted(don't ask me why.) It was on there for 16 years and was still solid when we pulled it up. Just my experience for what it's worth. But, if I had built it originally, it most definitely wouldn't have been ply, or carpet for that matter. :dunno:

two words... Exterior Grade

Look for that on the printed info on the back side. If it says Exterior then you can use it outside and paint will protect it. Cabinet grade (no Matter how good or expensive) will delaminate if exposed to the elements or in the presence of the elements.

two words... Exterior Grade

Look for that on the printed info on the back side. If it says Exterior then you can use it outside and paint will protect it. Cabinet grade (no Matter how good or expensive) will delaminate if exposed to the elements or in the presence of the elements.

What about ply rated as sheathing?

What about ply rated as sheathing?

That is weather proof (sort of but it is a s cheap as can get.. Ply is 3 layers and it will curl & flex so more structure is needed which offsets the savings from cheaper materials. I would either go with 3/4 Sub Flooring Ply or 3/4 sub floor OSB. Either of those will hold up well Painted or not painted. I built my son's storage building with it and it is exposed to weather (Although not directly wet as there is a roof and walls) and parks a mower inside. Also built a Cistern Pump house for my daughter. Same floor same conditions. Even with freeze up and pipe bursts it is till solid (no paint on either) In fact she had a leak for weeks w/o ever seeing it and the floor was soaked but after a few days with the door open it dried and is still solid.

You will only save a few bucks on a small floor like that so go with a better quality. I reccomend 3/4 Ply or OSB Sub Floor (or the metric equivilant thickness)

I think I might have found the answer!!! I saw at lowes some 4x8 hardi panels for just over $20. I was under the impression that panel siding was much more expensive. Thank you all for you responses. Now, the site is prepped and it is time to start building. I just got a smokin deal on a pc fr350 framing nailer and can't wait to put it to the test. Pix will follow

chris

I think I might have found the answer!!! I saw at lowes some 4x8 hardi panels for just over $20. I was under the impression that panel siding was much more expensive. Thank you all for you responses. Now, the site is prepped and it is time to start building. I just got a smokin deal on a pc fr350 framing nailer and can't wait to put it to the test. Pix will follow

chris

hey chris dont forget to give her sum oil before you start and any time you use her..

hey chris dont forget to give her sum oil before you start and any time you use her..

Sounds like a plan! The nailer was on sale for $165 plus 5 free riptide 24tooth blades. I ordered it and then the price dropped to $139. I called amazon and they refunded the difference. So, $139 for a framer and 5 blades, not a bad deal if you ask me:thumb:

chris