Weekend thread

Ugh.
Been spraying some lacquer on oak cabinets.
Been putting stuff up off the floor in the main shop.
Making room for cabinet boxes.
Been filling up the 78 stepside with junk to go to the dump :eek: again :rolleyes: :eek:

Cleaning up the shop addition where the car is supposed to be :huh: :rolleyes:
Last winters shop roof excapade kinda got it out of whack. Stored a lot of stuff, tools in there. I finally found some concrete in there this morning.:rolleyes:

I turned another of the "defective" practice snakeskin blanks Glimmerz sent me. It is python and sized for the full size Gentelman pen. Mind boggling:bonkers: fantastic looking when I finished. Only problem, I don't have a kit to assemble it onto. Polished and put away. Time permitting tommorow, I'll turn the diamondback rattlesnake blanks and assemble to the Tn Gold full size Gent kit waiting for me to make for ME. That diamondback is a sorta gold color and should something fine when done. Can't afford a Rolex, so I'll carry a real man's power pen instead.

well,
despite the long weekend I'm not getting a whole lot accomplished shop wise. Much as I would prefer to be making sawdust. I hope to get my quackers lined up and ready for getting my new building permit. Finances have finally cleared the holding pattern and I should break ground next weekend if all goes well.

I did clean my grill finally, and this evening I'm going to hook up the water supply to the new fridge.

dscf0017-1.jpg

Building eight raised panel doors. The first four are on the cabinet saw and the last four are in clamps on the workbench. Finished this much in time to see the Spurs-Jazz game. Halftime is over so see you later.

dscf0017-1.jpg

Building eight raised panel doors. The first four are on the cabinet saw and the last four are in clamps on the workbench. Finished this much in time to see the Spurs-Jazz game. Halftime is over so see you later.

Wow, Allen - its amazing how neat and organized your shop is in the middle of a project. I would be ashamed to show mine:rolleyes:

Looking forward to pics of those raised panel doors. I need to do some soon. How do you do them on the TS?

Hi Jesse,

Acutally it is more of a mess that it appears. Sometime pictures can be deceiving.

I make the raised panels on the router table. I was only using the saw with the crosscut sled to trim the ends . Making two passes on all four sides per raised panel using the router sure makes me wish that I had a shaper. That would be thirty two less cuts on only eight panels. If I did a lot of these I would have to upgrade as this would drive me crazy.

Last edited:
Managed to get a couple good days in this weekend, finally. On the bench is the upper section of the AV center to be. Starting to take shape. The cross brace behind the circle is only temporary until I figure out how to join the upper shelf to the posts.

AVCenter03.jpg

Worked as far as I dared with the sprinkler pump house construction. It's too wet to go sit on the ground cutting pipe and electrical. Hopefully this next weekend will be drier.
Built my master panel for the long work bench for the multistation set up. Got 4 additional panels cut and dry fitted, and checked for consistancy in size. Ran out of 2X material, or I might have gotten another couple made.
And I'm at work today. I've been here 4 hours now, and 7 more to go.:( The bad thing is we are very slow. Can't get parts if we don't have what we need. Shouldn't have been open, but that''s not my decision.:D We are going to grill burgers and links here in a little bit. The Earl Campbell's hot links are always tasty, as long as the heart doesn't stop pumping.:eek: :eek: Jim.

Having a great shop weekend.

1st I got in the shop and did a quick storage upgrade. I am trying to get more stuff on shelves. I had the wire shelves and a place to put them.

IMG_0563.jpg

I also got back to my daughters wedding present ( now late ).

So it is now ready to glue up. That's a real scary deal !!

IMG_0578.jpg

Check out the complete post for the table progress - click here

Last edited:
Didn't get as much done, due to a shop mishap

Well, my wife and son went out of town for a few days, and I had the day off (Monday). So I set out to finish up several things I was working on in the shop.

The Mishap: (All fingers are still attached:thumb: )
I was loosening the collet on my router while it was in the router table. I had a carbide tipped pattern bit in the collet at the time (bearing near the table). Apparently I had tightened it more that what I remember. When the collet finally loosened up, it caused my arm to move fast. Not only did my arm move with the wrench fast, but it dragged across the tip of one of the carbide edges of the bit. I ended up with a decent cut about 4 1/2 in long on the inside of my right forearm. :eek: It was one of those where it didn't bleed right away. This gave me a chance to look at it. About 2 inches looked bad enough to warrant stiches. The ER was not where I wanted to spend my day. Going back to my Boy Scout days, I immediatly grabbed it as tight as I could with my left hand. At that point, I realized that I probably wasn't going to be able to handle this by myself. As I was all alone at home, I called my Mom for some help. Don't laugh.... She's been a nurse for over 30 years. She also was about 10 minutes away. I continued to keep a death grip on my arm with my left hand. When she arrived, cleaned it up and looked at it, apparently the direct pressure did the trick. She said that if I hadn't done that, I would have definatly needed stiches. She steri-striped it back together, bandaged it, and I went back to work. I guess the good thing was that it never really hurt that much. Actually for a while my left hand hurt more from the 20+ minute direct pressure death grip.

Things that I accomplished after the mishap:

Built a Push Block along the lines of what Stu showed in the following link:
http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1114

Revised and Finished my Rail Coping Jig that has been in pieces on the bench for a while now.

Made 2 Zero Clearance Inserts for my table saw. This was the first time I have done this.

Unfortunatly I can't post any pictures just yet, as my wife took the camera out of town with her. I will post what I did when she gets back.

Glad to see you weren't hurt any worse than you were, Sean. ;)

Shop-wise, about the only thing I did was finish a little jewel of a maple/cherry hybrid hollow form. I'll post pics of it later when I do my next photo session.

Most of my working time was spent cutting up my latest turning wood haul, discussed in this thread.

I also made four weights out of 4" PVC pipe and concrete for my new 10' x 10' canopy. It's part of my gearing up for the art shows this fall. LOML and I set up the canopy with all 4 walls in the back yard, just to check it out. I've got the booth...now I just need to furnish and stock it.

We took Saturday off - a rare occurrence at our house. Went to a wine festival, but LOML just couldn't stop selling - have two new potential customers for engraved/blasted wine glasses. Sunday and Monday we finished up a 36x24" maple plaque blank and got it crated for shipment, finished up a batch of name tags, and did 18 plaques for a soccer club. Hubby got several scroll-saw patterns converted for vectoring and we cut some acrylic clocks--now just waiting for the clock inserts to arrive so we can assemble them.

Back to work today - 29 weeks!!

Nancy

Sean, glad that wasn't worse. I took a decent chunk out of a finger tip once just bumping into a saw blade tooth. This stuff we work with is sharp (that's the thought I had as I looked at my bleeding finger).

That aside, congrats on the other accomplishments.

It was a yard work weekend. We pulled and planted at my house and the LOML's house. Painted the new arbor at LOML's Mom's house.

I still managed to build a planer sled and make a run by Rockler for some free stuff courtesy of the Pomona WW show coupons and picked up a bit to drill my bench dog holes.