Debris in the gears - DW735

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
I have a Dewalt planer (DW735) with which I am rather pleased. It is a work horse that has never failed me in over 10 years of use. The only issue I have with it is that debris keeps building up inside the case fouling the gears that raise and lower the cutters. It was bad with the original knives, it seems much worse with the Shelix head I just installed. It requires really removing the cover, vacuuming out the bulk of it and then alternating between a dental pick, vacuum, and small advances of the mechanism to get it all dislodged and cleaned out.

IMG_3181.jpgIMG_3183.jpg

I did some research on line and found many people have the same problem but few had any luck in correcting it - except one fellow. His solution was to remove the fan on the motor shaft. He reports that the problem has completely disappeared and the machine runs quieter. I believe his theory is that the fan blows the chips out at a very high velocity, a higher velocity than the dust collector moves the air out thus compressing the chip flow and causing it to back up into the machine.

I'm no engineer, but I do think I possess a modicum of common sense and this made sense to me. So, after the clean up (the third one in a month!) I removed the fan shroud and took out the fan. The machine is indeed quieter. I will be running some white oak and poplar through the planer in a day or so. I'll give you all an update then.

Thanks for the heads up on this, Rennie. I've had my DW735 for many years. I haven't had the issue you describe, but maybe something similar. When running a board through it, I get chips blown back to the infeed. I took the top off to check for blockage and all was clear as it could be, but I still get some chips blowing back. I guess I'll roll it over to my shop door, aim the outfeed out the door and run it with no DC connected to see if there's a difference. My greatest concern about removing the blower is whether the DC will pick up the chips sufficiently. I look forward to your report.

Mine does the exact same thing, love the tool, but that is real annoing. I was going to ask Rennie about the build up when I helped him install the Byrd head, but he beat me to the same question. I always thought there was too much draw and am anxiously waiting his results!

I wonder if there was a design change along the way. I bought mine in November, 2010.

Yes. There was an update and mine is the older model. I have no idea what is different in the newer version, but I would imagine one could figure it out by comparing parts lists. I know when I purchased the new belt for my machine that several parts had different numbers based on the model. I’ll have to take a look when I get a chance.

Interesting.

I still have the DW733, long ago obsoleted - still running strong. Say what you want but Dewalt in high on my list of good tools.

My first thought was motor cooling, but I guess that is not the case.

I have been running the DW733 since I bought it a lot of years ago. I have run a boatload of lumber through that thing, 8' oak, walnut, cherry, cocobolo, pine, maple. I have changed the knives many times. I don't really have trouble with dust collection - works OK for me. I clean the screws from time to time. What a beast.

Yes. There was an update and mine is the older model. I have no idea what is different in the newer version, ...

Here's the inside of my DW735. I haven't had the top off in several months.

DW735a.jpg

The chip ejection port has some space around it that could allow chips to fly back inside around it, if there's enough back pressure. The 4" adapter pretty much eliminates that potential issue.

DW735b.jpgDW735c.jpg

You could certainly do a quick test with almost no effort (other than sweeping the floor). Unhook the DC connection and let the planer's fan just blow the material out and make a big mess. Now pop the top and see if there is any spoil collecting where it shouldn't. If not there may be some credence to the DC "not keeping up" but, I am skeptical unless the DC is a real wimp. My dedicated 1HP Delta on my jointer and sander has no problem keeping the hose clear.

Maybe someone could post pictures of the difference in the spoil path on the newer units? It doesn't take much to influence flow path. I temporarily put a piece of cardboard on one of my bandsaws to direct spoil about 5 years ago :D. My point is a small bit of 1/8" hardboard or a bit of plastic hot glued in place could cure you ills.

Sorry to be late to this, but DeWalt 735 planers can develop a small hole in the fan shroud, and when they do they fill the inside of the planer with chips. I suggest you remove the fan shroud and look carefully for damage. It seems to develop the hole right along the seam. Mine hasn't done this yet, but I don't use it much. A friend uses his much more and had the problem last year.

Charley

Sorry to be late to this, but DeWalt 735 planers can develop a small hole in the fan shroud, and when they do they fill the inside of the planer with chips. I suggest you remove the fan shroud and look carefully for damage. It seems to develop the hole right along the seam. Mine hasn't done this yet, but I don't use it much. A friend uses his much more and had the problem last year.

Charley

Will do. Sounds like something worth investigating. I did a cursory examination a little while back and did not see anything, but now I have a specific area to look at.

Many, many thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. I'll update as new information comes to light.

I agree with Charles. What I have determined is the foam gasket has deteriorated. I replaced the gasket with gasket material form my DC. Didn't change the situation. I've been considering replacing the shroud to see if that helps. I'll be interested to see how this turns out.

OK - initial test. I planed some of the Michigan chocolate I picked up from Larry for those bagel stands.
IMG_1104.jpg

Then I opened the case. Spotless.
IMG_1103.jpg

I also felt the motor - warm to the touch but no where near hot. It had been running about 20 min. I'll be planing some oak in the next day or so and will post an update.

After taking about 3/16” off of about 10bf of white oak....still clean!

So far I am very happy with the modification. Will keep an eye on it and update as necessary. In a week or two I will be running about 40bf of walnut. That should be a good test.

315b88c2541fff0da85bb4a03ec0a80f.jpg