Hey Steve! Tractor forum?

Jeff Horton

FINALLY have my JD 430 in the Lab for some exploratory surgery to see why it will not crank. Silly thing is so simple it should be obvious why it won't run but ..... Anyway, what is the tractor forum your involved in? Figured I might need to drop in and ask some questions at some point.

put bow ties on `em and they`ll run forever;)

Bingo!

Oh, but I agree with you, Frank, about "Red" tractors...

I love mine...

YS4500.png

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

BTW, Jeff...did you figure out the problem?

Last edited:

Attachments

• 100_3385.jpg
    100_3385.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 100_3379.jpg
    100_3379.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Grandpas Huber.jpg
    Grandpas Huber.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 40201983.jpg
    40201983.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 13
  • jd3020c.jpeg
    jd3020c.jpeg
    4.3 KB · Views: 7
  • pullin.jpg
    pullin.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 10
  • restoB.jpeg
    restoB.jpeg
    3.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Huber.jpg
    Huber.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 100_1738.jpg
    100_1738.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 17
  • jash.jpg
    jash.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 16
.....do you mean it will crank over, but won't "fire up and run"...? :huh: Compression, spark or fuel problem?

So you wanted a serious answer?? ;) Still I dunno. But it was running fine. Was dragging dirt around the front yard and you could hear it just didn't sound right. Even my wife noticed it sounded different and asked about it. Just didn't sound right but seemed to be running fine. Shut it off and never hit a lick again.

Checked the obvious stuff before I got fed up working in the sun and heat and it has sat there since last year. Got it in Lab and will give it good going over. It's nothing obivous. Wondering if

1. it has distributor problems and has jumped time.
2. there might be stuck or burned valve

It will backfire through the carb sometimes. Now that I have inside I can work in comfort and figure out what the heck is going on. Just got feed up working in the dirt and sun.

Last edited:
Does it have points and condensor? or a magneto?

Could be ignition. Could be fuel. Check the filters

Backfiring once in a while sounds like ignition/timing

Well, got to buy a battery, thats for sure. Won't hold a charge.

BUT, #1 has 75# pressure. #2 has only 50#. Motor has recently had rings put in it. Got to get a battery in it but have a sneaky suspicion that this is not a simple problem.

Once I get a battery I will put some oil in the cylinder and see if the pressure stays the same.

Jeff

Doesn't sound good on the compression :doh:

Recent ring job, should be up around 120-150

Finally got a decent battery in the tractor. Found a consistent 75# of compression on both cylinders. Not sure what it should be but as old as this thing is that may be correct?? Regardless it means it isn't a burned valve of something like that.

Now I am leaning toward ignition problems, mainly a timing issue. Going to pull the distributor and see if has any hidden issues. Just trying to figure out how to find TDC on this thing so I can reset the timing once I get it back together.

Jeff