Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sanding......

Sanding......

UGH!!!!!
    Thanks, Mark.

Custom Bonehead.

My diet is working good. I'm down to needing just one chair now.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin

I gather this means you don't like sanding?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rios View Post
    UGH!!!!!
    Mark, Mark, Mark. Get a set of work tunes radio/ear protectors, some nice cushy paddying on you shop floor, turn on the sander and zone out.

This is called a survival tactic.
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

Get you a Festool sander then it will nearly be fun and pure joy to sand your projects.
    I once heard that cats and women will do darn well what they please and that men and dogs would do well to accept it and just go on.

Mark, you must not have a Festool sander. I used to feel that way about sanding too.
    Cheers, Frank

Just one word

SCRAPERS!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton View Post
    Just one word

SCRAPERS!
    I was thinking along the line of
    Hand Planes & Scrapers!
    Jim

LOLOL

When I posted this afternoon I had been sanding for about 4 hours by then. I'm sanding my carcass parts. Last thing for me before carcass assembly. I did another 2 1/2 hours or so and then was finally able to start assembling.

As far as Rennie's post, I use my iPod most definately and I work on a raised wooden deck so those things aren't too much of an issue.

Regarding the Festools, I don't really have any trouble ordering them but you folks have yet to be able to quantify any level of BETTER sanding or finish over a good "regular" sander. Yes, although I haven't used them I will happily concede that they eliminate the vibration. But I don't really have any trouble with the vibration issue. I grew up in a body shop (for those that don't know) and I was using the 6" DA's since I was 7 years old so I'm okay with any vibration (within reason of course )

If you folks here can show me how the festool sanders can give me a quantifiable better finish then I'll happily call Uncle Bob. A couple of things about the Festool though, I really prefer a 1/4 sheet sander to a round one. I don't know how you folks sand in the corners with your 125's and 150's. The other thing is having to manipulate the hose. I'm a BIG fan of cordless and the tail on a regular sander is a bother that I have gotten used to. You add a big 1 1/4" hose into the equation and I don't think I'd like that very much. It may be something that is adapted to and I'm sure that Festool has made the hoses out of some 24th century, lightweight material but it does seem cumbersome to this bonehead. The bigger issue is the 1/4 sheet thing though.

The BIGGEST thing however is spending the money without getting a correspondingly better finish.

Care to jump in? (PLEASE.......NO talk of sanders on guided rails )
    Thanks, Mark.

Custom Bonehead.

My diet is working good. I'm down to needing just one chair now.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin

No wonder you hate sanding...you're not using a vac of some sort to suck all the sawdust away from the sandpaper. When I first hooked up the shop vac to my little Ryobi 5" ROS, it was like the heavens parted and angels hand-delivered new enlightenment to me about sanding. Not only is the dust I was breathing reduced a WHOLE lot, sanding is faster and paper lasts longer when you've got the vacuum getting the dust out from between the sandpaper and the wood. I use a 2 1/2" shop vac hose on my 5" ROS, 6" ROS and 1/4 sheet sanders, and the hassle of the hose is a small price to pay for the better and faster sanding results. Granted, most of my sanding has been on relatively small stuff...not cabinets, but if you haven't tried it, I highly recommend hooking up a vacuum.

Also, forgive me if you already know this, but if you haven't tried a ROS on wood, I highly recommend it. They're remarkably faster than my 1/4 sheet sander and (at least for me) the corners haven't been a problem. Anything I can't reach with the round ones I can touch up with the 1/4 sheet.

LOL!! LOML came in and read a little of Mark's second post, chuckled and said we better not get these posts mixed up with her Raw Setters posts (an email group on feeding raw foods to dogs) There would be a big stir about why you would sand your carcass's before you fed them to the dogs!
    Vaughn, that's good information about keeping the dust out from the sandpaper to prolong it's life. I usually use the shop vac when using the ROS, but mainly to keep the dust down. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3